> http://www.sbinstitute.com/matofgaps.pdf
>
> Virtually all cognitive scientists today assume that consciousness
> and all subjectively experienced mental processes are functions of
> the brain, and are therefore emergent properties or functions of
> matter. This is the mainstream scientific view of consciousness, and
> those who reject this hypothesis are commonly viewed by many
> scientists as being in the grip of a metaphysical bias or religious
> faith.
>
> To evaluate this scientific perspective, let's first review some
> simple, uncontested facts: Scientists have (1) no consensual
> definition of consciousness, (2) no means of measuring it or its
> neural correlates, and (3) an incomplete knowledge of the necessary
> and sufficient causes of consciousness. The fact that no state of
> consciousness – in fact, no subjectively experienced mental
> phenomenon of any kind – is detectable using the instruments of
> science means that, strictly speaking, there is no scientific,
> empirical evidence for the existence of consciousness or the mind.
> The only experiential evidence we have for the existence of mental
> phenomena consists of reports based on first-person, introspective
> observations of one's own mental states. But such first-person
> accounts are not objective, they are not subject to third-person
> corroboration, and they are generally presented by people with no
> formal training in observing or reporting on their own mental
> processes. Yet without such anecdotal evidence for the existence of
> mental phenomena, scientists would have no knowledge of the mental
> correlates of the neural and behavioral processes that they study
> with such precision and sophistication. In other words, the whole
> edifice of scientific knowledge of mental processes that arise in
> dependence upon brain functions is based on evidence that is
> anecdotal and unscientific.

Where to begin...

Well, no. Just about all of the above assertions are at least misleading, and
some are just
plain wrong. We can watch movies of MRI of the visual centers of the brain and
can, at
least in extremely simple cases, tell what a person is looking at based on the
pattern of
the activation of the primary visual cortex. Turns out that the nerves that run
from the
retina through the thalamus to the visual center keep an extremely accurate
one-to-one
corresponance with the nerves in the primary vision center. In other words, if
the rods and
cones of the eye form a grid, then when an object activates a pattern on that
grid, a
corresponding pattern appears on the extremely wrinked projection screen at the
back of
the brain we call the primary vision center. It gets WAAAY more complicated,
real fast, but
the essential image remains intact as it gets sent from the eye to the back of
the brain for
further processing.

There's still  nyriad details that need to be worked out, even for visual
processing, which is
probably the best understood aspect of the brain, but to suggest that we can
never know
what someone is thinking is false. We can, in the most simple cases: they're
looking at a
simple shape. We can even identify which shape. And we can know, at least
usually, when
someone is asleep, awake, dreaming or even, these days, in Pure COnscioiusness
during
meditation, since they all have consistent patterns of activation of the brain.