> On Dec 20, 2006, at 12:54 AM, sparaig wrote:
<snip>
> > Well, in the case of samadhi, the original tests asked for
> > people to push a button. Turned out that they were in a
> > normalish state of consciousness when they pushed the
> > button, but some short time BEFORE they pushed the button,
> > they were in a different state. You can't say "I'm in
> > samadhi." You can only say "I WAS in samadhi."
>
> Not true, there are forms of samadhi which occur with
> the eyes open dude.

Gosh, try as I might, I cannot find where Lawson
said there weren't such forms of samadhi.  Could
you point to where he said this?

It's so strange, because what *I* understand him
to be referring to is the "form" of samadhi that
that TMers experience during TM practice (which is
done with eyes closed), and is defined as no
thoughts, no mantra.  Seems to me given that
definition, you can't say "I'm in [this "form" of]
samadhi" because it would require thought.

Moreover, in his next paragraph, he explicitly
acknowledges there are other "forms" of samadhi:

> Of course, other meditation traditions induce
> different states which THEIR practitioenrs also
> call samadhi

You seem to have deleted this.

And finally, of course, TMers recognize that
there are "forms" of samadhi that co-exist with
thought (which TM calls "witnessing").  But that
isn't what the TM researchers were testing for,
as noted.

So it appears to me that your comment is a non
sequitur.  Would you care to explain how you
believe it isn't?

(Silly me.  Of course not.)