> authfriend wrote:
> >
> >> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>

> >> Just out of curiosity (since it's only my
> >> opinion and my opinions are always in flux),
> >> I'll answer.  :-)
> >>
> >> The short answer is, "For the good of the
> >> student." The somewhat longer answer is, "For
> >> the good of the student, by ensuring the highest
> >> possible state of attention in the teacher."
> >>

> > Not sure why anything you mention wouldn't apply
> > to teachers across the board, both the pitfalls
> > and the benefits of either option.
> >
> > The biggest problem I see with the free option
> > is that would be much more difficult for a teacher
> > who has family responsibilities and therefore a
> > lot less free time.  Or if they take a job that
> > gives them enough free time to teach as well as
> > tend to their families, they're likely to be paid
> > less than they need for their family's support.
> >

> Oh no, keep in mind that a lot of the people who went on TTCs were
very
> bright and many already had careers or went on to ones that paid
quite
> well.  In a lot of businesses its not the hours you put in but what
gets
> done that is important in the higher positions.  In these positions
you
> get paid a salary and not by the hour.  So if I were to get
something
> that might take someone else a week to do in three days then I
would
> have two days to do what I want if that included teaching.  Those
salary
> levels are usually 100K+ too.  Plenty to take care of a family.

Oh yes, in fact.  As I pointed out to Barty, you
need to keep in mind that there aren't a whole lot
of such cushy jobs, and many people aren't qualified
for the ones there are.  If you insist spiritual
teachers must teach for free by getting a high-paying
job that leaves them lots of free time, you're
restricting the pool of teachers to folks who are
highly educated and trained to start with, which in
effect means people from relatively well-to-do
backgrounds for the most part.