Posted by Sudarsha at 1/19/2007 03:36:00 PM
    This is what I learned to do: After TM/before ‘sidhi’

At the top of the head think/feel OM
At the eyebrow level, between the eyes think/feel Bhur
At the throat level, think/feel Bhuvah
At the heart level think/feel svah
At the solar plexus level think/feel tat savitur

-> We were to do this moving our attention/awareness down the spine. (More
detailed, exacting instruction I did not, unfortunately, record in my notes;
not do I recall ever asking or being given any kind of explanation what this
was for, what it was supposed to do/accomplish.)

I was told to go to one of the skin boys for checking. He had to tell me over
and over what the “mantras” were. I had at the time a vague notion that this
was something familiar.

It turned out to be the beginning of the Gayatri Mantra.

I do not remember how many times this was to be done before progressing to the
‘sidhi’ program. Since I learned this on an ATR (Advanced Teaching and
Rounding, I think), I left for home almost immediately thereafter. I had been
doing the ‘sidhi’ program for some time and felt increasingly exhausted and
dull from morning meditation to evening meditation. I wanted to sleep all the
time and could barely function without a lot of effort, very difficult effort.

The addition of the “A of E” increased the dullness of the ‘sidhi’ program and
added something I still find difficult to describe despite the sparce notes
from this time in my journals. I simply felt awful. Dutifully, month after
month I wrote my A of E experience evaluation and sent it off to wherever we
were to send these things. I am unable to find the list of questions we were to
answer and apparently did not keep copies of the pleading letters I sent. I
felt so bad I was pleading month after month for some kind of help, any kind of
assistance. Needless to say, there was no response.

I now recall a Sufi teaching lession I learned some years later: I have sent
you a thousand letters and you have not answered one; but that too is an
answer.

After about 6-months of this (apparently if you are dull, exhausted, feel
wretched and afraid that you will be cut off like the errant son of some stuffy
and heartless aristocrat), you keep doing the same thing again and again
expecting better results.

The Gayatri:

Om Bhur Bhuvah Svah
Tat
Savitur Varenyam
Bhargo Devasya Dhimahi
Dhiyo Yonah:
Prachodayat

English translation:

Throughout all realms of experience
‘That’
essential nature illuminating existence
is the adorable
One.
May all beings perceive through
subtle and meditative intellect
the magnificent brilliance
of enlightened awareness.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~dham/gayatri_mantra.html
Wow, I wasn't on those early courses, but sure sounds exotic;
  Thanks for the free information- as I didn't even have to travel to France
this time for those secrets...
  One thing that stands out- Some of these 'Kriya' methods attributed to
Yogananda- seems true.
  So, is Yogananda also guilty of some kind of crime for teaching his
techniques in the West also.
  Let's not be wimps and cry babies-
  Ya, know what they say...
  'Girls just wanna have fun'...
  R.G.

Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta - Fire up a more powerful email and get
things done faster.