> > > Change the

> > > Odd comment here, for barry seems to be saying that only if we
are
> > > uncertain of what we believe, and continually questioning
> > > everything, our psyches are by default damaged. granted this
is a
> > > valid perspective for him, and he clearly enjoys it, but by
trying
> > > to impose it on others, he becomes the fanatic that he is
railing
> > > against.
> >
> > I meant that he is saying that only if we are
> > uncertain of what we believe, and continually questioning
> > everything, our psyches are by default UNdamaged...
>
> Just a few self-inquiry questions, when and
> if they arrive on FFL:

Yep, no kidding- it has been real snail mail lately...

> Who is this 'we' you speak of who are certain
> of their beliefs? You're not implying that there
> is a self present to believe these things, are you?

It looks like there is a self certain of its beliefs from the
outside, but the actual process, the subjective experience, is more
like an instantaneous self-referral, then instantaneous release,
with the self-referral result being reported.

> If so, does that self change so slowly that it can
> become convinced that the way it perceives reality
> *is* reality?

There is in reality no self experienced, and so no beliefs or
convincing.

I ask because my self (and I have no
> problems admitting that I have one, even if it *does*
> change more often than some of the folks here change
> their underwear) recycles so fast that it doesn't
> have *time* to become attached to anything long
> enough to consider it "true" or to form a lasting
> belief system around it.

Its an interesting reality that you are talking about-- The self
still exists, the ego reconstitutes itself after each change
of 'underwear', though it enjoys its continuing change, and takes
ownership for it. If the process continues, the ego eventually
completely collapses- the self completely disappears as an entity
that owns *anything*, even constant change. Then we become
instruments of the Creation and live life as such. This is often
referred to as Self-realization, the capitalized Self representing
this state of non-localized existence. I wrote about it recently in
terms of whether or not Self-realization is pleasurable:

Is Self-Realization Pleasurable?
That's a great question, since we all define pleasure differently.
The way I hear that question is that some seekers chase after a 'the
grass is greener on the other side of the fence' reality, thinking
that once self-realization occurs, all their challenges will leave
them. The only thing I can say about that is once self-realization
occurs, I find I am the challenges, the pleasure, the green grass,
both sides of the fence, the heavens, the abyss, and everything
else.

So it is an interesting result, that instead of getting away from
anything, I have become everything. Is that pleasurable? In one way,
yes, because my involvement, my integration with everything is far
more total than when there was an ego-filter to traverse. In another
way, sometimes not so pleasurable because I must honor and respect
the dross along with the gold.

The very interesting thing about it is I no longer have control over
what it is I experience so very deeply, and that brings its own
special reward as I live within God, who makes my life wholly what
it is, with me absolutely powerless to resist it. So the pleasure I
experience is the pleasure God grants me as He takes me here, there
and everywhere, though by no longer traversing the ego, it turns out
to be more Heaven than Hell. An innocent and magical result, of wich
the only role I play is complete surrender.