<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think this is the heart of Sam Harris's point.  If religion
> makes statements about how the world is, then it should be held
> to the same standards that rule our other beliefs.

But religion generally doesn't make those
kinds of statements.  (And if you're talking
about "beliefs" of how the world is, you aren't
referring to facts that can be determined by
standards anyway.  I think you just chose the
wrong word there, though.)

I don't think you can call religious statements
about, for example, what happens to you after
you die "statements about how the world is."

And that wasn't his question anyway.  As you go
on to note, it was about belief in the existence
of God and the validity of faith and Christianity
in general.  I'm not sure what he even means by
"the validity of faith," but by "validity of
Christianity," presumably he means such things
as whether belief in Jesus assures one of eternal
life.  That simply isn't a statement about "how
the world is."

> I think he is trying to see if
> there is any condition of proof that would contradict
> the belief in God which is the lowest bar for a rational
> discussion about beliefs.

Of course there isn't.  How could there possibly
be?  And you're using an extremely narrow
definition of "rational." For that matter, it's
Harris's question that is actually irrational.

> If there is no condition under which the belief can be
> contradicted, then it is an irrational assertion.

A better term would be "arational," outside the
realm of rationality rather than opposed to
rationality.

> I know that religion has gotten
> this pass in the past and Harris is trying to change
> that.  It is one thing to irrationally assert that you
> "know" that angels greet us when we die, but it is
> another problem entirely if you irrationally claim
> that God gave you a certain patch of real estate.

Sure, but he's asking *Sullivan* the question, not
those who believe God gave them real estate.  Remember,
Harris finds moderate religionists to be even more
objectionable than fundamentalists.

> I'm sure you already know this about Harris's intentions
> so I don't understand what you are abjecting to?

As posed to Sullivan, the question makes no sense.
Religion isn't science.  And as noted, what kind
of "proof" could there possibly be that God doesn't
exist or that Jesus saves?  And what does "validity
of faith" mean?