> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <rick@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Plenty of Coke around here, probably of both kinds. I drank
> > > a huge one last weekend in a Mexican restaurant in Ottumwa.
> > > There are lots of Mexicans there who work in the hog
> > > slaughterhouse, so the restaurant is very good and authentic.
> >
> > Oh, now you've done it! I'm salivating like one of
> > Pavlov's dogs. If good Mexican food exists anywhere
> > in France, I have yet to find it. It's difficult to
> > even roll your own, because the ingredients one can
> > find around here are so crappy. Every time someone
> > visits from Santa Fe and asks what they can bring
> > me, I ask for a suitcase full of salsas and spices.
> >

> Hmmmm... Define "authentic" and what spices and so on do you lack?

I take it back, you didn't say "authentic," you said "good."

A story: back when I worked for Apple (as an independent contractor, not
employee), the
VP of the Performa marketing came to Phoenix for a visit. I caught a shuttle to
the airport
in Phoenix and met him and his assistant and others for lunch.

We went to some hoity-toity psuedo-mexican restaurant complete with fountains
and
mariachi costumes for the waitresses and the two Californians oooed and ahhhed
about
the quality of the food.

"Do you have a Pepe's in Tucson?" asked the assistant. "Are there any good
Mexican
restaurants in Tucson?"

"I've never heard of Pepe's and I don't speak Spanish well enough to know where
the good
Mexican restaurants are in Tucson," said I.

She and her boss looked really confused.

Tucson, BTW, is the home of two Mexican-American dishes: the cheesecrisp,
invented by a
member of the Molina Family (every member has their own non-affiliated
restaurant these
days, it seems) and the chimichanga, invented accidentally when someone in El
Charro
Cafe dropped a burro into a french fries fryer.

We also have several "La Parilla Suisa" (Swiss Grill), a restaurant chain from
Mexico City,
that bills itself as "Authentic Mexico City food."

To be honest, I've lived in Tucson 40 years, and probably had "authentic"
Mexican food
zero times unless it was at some hole-in-the-wall in South Tucson. OTOH, a lot
of the
Mexican restaurants in Tucson serve tasty food.