"If this is correct, it will radically change our view of the
Universe. We have to be cautious but it could be revolutionary."

""The Universe may be a stranger place than we imagined because of
new evidence that appears to show the very laws of physics have
changed since the cosmos was young.
Analysis of the light coming from distant quasars suggests that a
fundamental physical constant may have been increasing slightly over
the past six billion years.

The so-called fine structure constant - which measures the strength
with which subatomic particles interact with one another and with
light - may have been smaller at earlier times in the history of the
Universe.

"This has major implications for our understanding of physics," Dr
John Webb of New South Wales University, Australia, told BBC News
Online.

"If this is correct, it will radically change our view of the
Universe. We have to be cautious but it could be revolutionary. We
have seen something in our data - but is it what we think?""

OffWorld