<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I am just claiming that it helped me understand my experiences
Judy.

> > No, you've been claiming a *lot* more than
> > that, Curtis.
> >
> > For example (just from FFL, not alt.m.t):

Curtis, did you understand the point I was making
here?  To avoid a discussion of Lifton's criteria,
you asserted (above) that you were only claiming
they had helped you understand *your* experiences.

That would have made some sense. If that's all you
were claiming, there wouldn't be much point in such
a discussion.

But that *isn't* all you've claimed.  Your assertion
was not true, as I demonstrated with the quotes from
some of your posts.  You've made much broader claims
for those criteria than just your own experience.

And those types of claims are what I was interested
in discussing, but with specific reference to Lifton's
criteria.

I'm *not* interested in the kind of discussion you
attempt below, which simply asserts that Lifton's
criteria apply in a general sense.  The only way
to determine if that is, in fact, the case is to
go over the criteria one by one--which you aren't
willing to do.

<snip>
> > [LB Shriver says he was told his presence
> > in the dome would be "disruptive"; someone
> > else asked, Disruptive of what?]
> > "What is disrupted is Milieu Control. I'm sure everyone here
> > is hip to that Lifton concept."
>
> Me: Milieu Control is the control of information.  People who
> are not allowed in the dome because they don't buy the party
> line are disruptive to MUM's information control.  I stand by
> that assessment.

OK, here you *are* dealing with a specific criterion.

Exactly how much communication of information goes on
in the domes?  How much opportunity is there to pass
on information *outside* the domes?  To call this
"milieu control" is just silly.

If you want to put the dome situation under one of
Lifton's criteria, it would be "demand for purity."
Even that doesn't fit very well, but that's another
discussion.

<more broad assertions snipped>

> > And most recently:
> >
> > "I do know that Lifton and Singer both believed that his
> > eight mind control principles did apply to full time members
> > in the TM group."
>
> Me: This a fact Judy.  They did believe this.  It was a
> correction of your erroneous claim below:
>
> Judy from a previous post:
> "Plus which, it trivializes Robert J. Lifton's
> important work about *real* thought control by
> pretending it's applicable to the TMO."
>
> Me: This is false.  Lifton did believe that his principles of
> thought reform were present in TM facilities.  No one
> is "pretending" that they are applicable and "trivializing"
> his work.  Studying people in groups like TM was part of his
> work.

I'd need some documentation that Lifton actually
studied TM groups, and what that study consisted of,
as well as a quote of his conclusions and his reasons
for them. I strongly suspect that, with some help
from Singer, he ended up inadvertently trivializing
his own work.

> > > Why would I want to argue with you about my own experiences
> > > in the movement 20 years ago and how I view them?
> >
> > I don't know, Curtis, but you brought up our
> > past discussions, not me.  And as the quotes
> > above show, you don't just refer to Lifton's
> > work as useful to understand your own experiences,
> > you cite him as an authority on what goes on in
> > the TMO.
>
> Me: I believe that Lifton and Singer offer a valuable insight into
> what happens to people who are full time in the movement.

Yes, we know you believe this.  You've asserted it
over and over.  The point is, you refuse to discuss
the specific insights and exactly how you believe
they apply.

My opinion is that they didn't know as much about the
TMO as they thought they did.  But to show how that
might be the case, we'd need to discuss their insights
and how they're said to apply, which you refuse to do.

<snip>
> > If you don't want to discuss your claims that
> > Lifton's criteria apply to the TMO, then STOP
> > MAKING THE CLAIMS.
>
> Me: I chose to hear your rude caps in the hysterical voice
> of Yosemite Sam.

It's called EMPHASIS, Curtis.  Why a big tough guy
like you should feel threatened by capital letters
is beyond me.  BOO!!

> Yeah, that works for me. I won't stop expressing my opinions,
> no need to shout.

Of course you won't.  My point is that if you refuse
to support those opinions in open discussion, they
aren't worth a whole lot.

> > > I don't hold you or you challenges as authoritative on my
> > experiences or Lifton's material.

How can you tell when you haven't been willing to
discuss my challenges?

  I don't think that this kind of complex
> > > material, which has had a very important value to me
personally, is
> > > best discussed in a combative context?  Do you?  Do you want to
win
> > > something or prove me wrong is some way?
> >
> > Again, *you* barged in with your citation of
> > Lifton's belief that his principles applied to
> > the TMO.  I hadn't been talking to you, hadn't
> > referred to you.  So don't you accuse *me* of
> > wanting to be combative.
>
> Me: So now commenting on someone else's post to correct an
> erroneous statement is considered barging in?

I'm not objecting to your having barged in, merely
pointing out that *you* were challenging *me*, not
the reverse.

  And this is automatically
> considered combative because you had not been talking to me?  Wow,
> that is going to be an interesting standard to apply to your writing
> here Judy.

I never said I wasn't combative, just that it was
disingenous of you to claim I was being combative
in this instance when you were the one posing the
initial challenge.

<snip more disingenuous self-justification>

> I believe you are attempting to play to an imaginary crowd of
> perspective TM lurkers who you fear will be influenced by me
> stating that Lifton considered TM full time people to be
> subjected to thought reform practices.

My concern is that all the Lifton-and-Singer stuff
is presented as if it were somehow established fact.
I think there's an excellent case to be made that it
is not.  There's some truth to it here and there, but
as a blanket characterization of the TMO as a "thought
reform cult," it just doesn't hold the volume of water
it's credited with; it leaks, badly.

John Knapp confirms my concern when he says Lifton
is in danger of being taken as a "holy text" in the
anticult movement.  You yourself said you're prone
at times to turning it into dogma.

I think that's a big problem, not only for prospective
and current TMers who aren't familiar with Lifton's
work, but also for former TMers who have been led to
believe they are "cult victims."  I think *you* have
adopted it as dogma for yourself at least in part to
ward off some difficult questions you might otherwise
have to ask yourself about your participation in the
movement.

I think Singer in particular is like the proverbial
carpenter with the hammer to whom every problem
looks like a nail.

  I think this is why you are invested in attempting
> to stop me from expressing this fact and want to "go at it" with me
> about it.

Uh-huh, and just how could I both stop you from
expressing your views and also "go at it" with you?

I'd like to have it closely examined to determine
what is of value in it and what isn't.

  If you want to present your own ideas about Lifton's
> theories and why he was wrong to apply them to the
> experiences of full time members, go for it.

Obviously I can't do that without bouncing off someone
who was a full-time member.  But you refuse to discuss
it with me.  Seems to me more like it's you who doesn't
want me to be able to present my ideas.