Great book.

  Odin, Steve.  Process Metaphysics and Hua-Yen Buddhism: A Critical Study of
Cumulative Penetration vs. Interpenetration.  Albany: State University of New
York Press, 1982.
  Abstract
  This work establishes the first comprehensive transcultural dialogue between
East Asian Hua-Yen Buddhism and A. N. Whitehead's process philosophy, including
both the profound parallels and the doctrinal debates that arise.  To advance
the dialogue, several other western hermeneutical systems have been adopted in
order to radically reinterpret Hua-Yen modes of thought, such as Jungian
depth-psychology, Wittgenstein's linguistic analysis, Hegelian dialectics, and
the phenomenology of Husserl, Heidegger and Merleau-Ponty.  [Abstract from The
Philosopher's Index]

jim_flanegin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:          Fun stuff about dharma. I also
liked the Indras Net stuff about
space, and the fractals. Thanks for posting it.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "llundrub" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> "Bhikkhus, this bowl cannot exist independently. It is here
thanks to all
> the things we consider non-bowl entities such as earth, water,
fire, air,
> the potter, and so forth. It is the same for all dharmas. Every
dharma
> exists in interdependent relation to all other dharmas. All
dharmas exist
> by the principles of interpenetration and interbeing.
>
> "Bhikkhus, look deeply at this bowl, and you can see the entire
universe.
> This bowl contains the entire universe. There is only one thing
the bowl is
> empty of and that is a separate, individual self. What is a
separate,
> individual self? It is a self which exists completely on its own,
> independent of all other elements. No dharma can exist
independently from
> other dharmas. No dharma posesses a separate, essential self.
That is the
> meaning of emptiness. Empty means empty of self."
>
> Here's some links to stuff on the Jeweled Net of Indra, for those
> interested:
>
> Scroll down on this page for a short article on it:
>
> http://c1.zedo.com/jsc/c1/ff2.html?
n=162;c=1963/1;s=797;d=16;w=720;h=300;t=A

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/2000/12/03/stories/1303076i.htm
> http://www.techgnosis.com/indranet.html - the first half of the
page (the
> writer's snarky, the but guy he interviews is interesting)
>
> an article on Indra's Net and the law:
> http://a2j.kentlaw.edu/Insights/1999/Indras/
>
> Here's a graphic version:
> http://www.angelfire.com/realm/bodhisattva/indras-net.html
>
> Indra's Net animations:
> http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/optics/indra.html (I
found this to
> be a particularly evocative quote from the site: A completely
reflective
> sphere in void space is basically invisible in the absence of any
external
> objects. In other words what the viewer sees on its surface, is
only what
> gets reflected against it. But on every surface are reflected
other such
> spheres, for which the same assumption holds (i.e. they are
invisible).

> a fractle of it:

http://www.jackhaas.net/art_Digital_Fractal_art_mandala_Jeweled_Web_o
f_Indra