--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Once those with a penchant for starting fights
> realized it was no longer permissible to do so,
> the problem would be solved.
>
> It takes at least two to fight. I shouldn't have to be
> monitoring the chat all day long trying to determine who
> has started a fight and getting them to stop. What if I
> went on vacation? All hell would break loose.

No need to monitor it "all day long," of course.
It doesn't take that much time to read a day's
traffic at one sitting. And it might well be
possible for you to find others who would help,
at least in scanning the posts for possible
problems and bringing any such to your attention
for a ruling.

Once the policy was *established*, you ought to
be able to go on vacation with not more than a
little hell breaking loose, if that; and one of
your assistants might post reminders if any
fires appeared to be getting started.  If the
reminders were ignored, then you could settle
with the transgressors once you got back.

This isn't rocket science, Rick.  It's a pretty
thoroughly proven formula for keeping potentially
volatile groups under control.

The important thing to recognize is that once
the policy is *established*--once people see that
starting fights is not permissible, as I said--
the number of *attempts* will diminish
substantially, so that actually implementing
the policy will require much less attention from
the moderator team.  There's significant effort
involved in the beginning, but it should require
less and less as time goes on.

But as I've noted, you've had an implicit policy
of permitting attacks for so long, and so much
bad feeling has now built up as a result, that
it really is going to take determination and
commitment on your part if you want to reverse it.

> All you
> have to do if you feel someone has started a fight is
> ignore them. End of fight.

Once again: When you're the target of attacks
day after day for years, and those attacks
involve patent dishonesty and lack of fairness,
it becomes extremely difficult just to ignore
them. Readers may or may not be sufficiently
well informed to even realize that the
accusations are false.

Just as an example, Barry claimed yesterday
that I've been ignoring the posting limits. That
simply *is not factual*. But how many readers here
will have simply nodded their heads, assuming
that Barry was telling the truth?

Similarly with his claims about what's been
going on over at TMFree.  They aren't true
either, but most readers here don't participate
over there, so they have no way of knowing that
he's telling falsehoods.

For that matter, your citing Andrew Skolnick's
Web site as "evidence" that I'm the main
source of the unpleasantness here is yet
another example. I strongly suspect this was
a matter of your ignorance rather than a desire
to deceive, but it has the same *effect* either
way, so I can't just let it go.

Referring back to my earlier, longer post,
which you've apparently chosen to ignore,
many experts attribute the loss of the election
by both Gore in 2000--and Kerry in 2004--to the
failure of the candidates to adequately respond
to falsehoods promoted by the opposition.

Obviously I'm not running for office, but the
principle is the same. I'm being "Swift-
Boated" by folks who don't like me, including
even by you.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "llundrub" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[I wrote:]
> Once those with a penchant for starting fights
> realized it was no longer permissible to do so,
> the problem would be solved.
>
> ---Odd, the criminal asking for tougher penalties.
> But in a TM world....
>
> Judy, do you ever feel as if you might have done or
> said something to deserve this seeming retribution,
> or are you always the wronged party?  Just curious.

I don't see why, since you appear to have made up
your mind already.

But I'll make a couple of points.  First of all, I
asked Rick some days ago to put both Barry and me
on moderation.  So yes, I *am* asking for tougher
penalties; I just don't think I'm the chief
criminal.

And no, I already indicated I didn't think I was
always the wronged party.  But I rarely actually
start fights.  I have done it every now and then,
but usually all I do is respond. If the attacks
were stopped, I wouldn't have the need to respond,
and I'd be far less motivated to start fights
myself, even though I do so rarely anyway.

With regard to the charge that I'm the "chief
criminal" being promoted here by Rick and Barry
and others--as well as, it would seem, yourself--
if I'm *not* the chief criminal, then how could
it be that I'm *not* being wronged?  What could
I have done that would make me deserving of that
label if it weren't accurate?

*One of* the "criminals" I'll cop to, although
my contributions have been mostly in my own
defense, in defense of some others, and in
defense of TMers and things TM-ish in general
when *they've* been attacked.

Finally, I've been discussing this mostly in
terms of my situation here, because I'm most
familiar with it; but I'm not the only one by
any means to be the target of attacks by the
folks who like to start fights. Three of the
targets have already left because they couldn't
hack it, so they aren't here to add their
perspectives.

But I'm not going anywhere.  Rick's going to
have to throw me off to get rid of me.