MDixon6569,

Of course, my ego is deluded. Of course it is self serving hypocrisy,
and I believe I pointed out my ego when I told my tale.

But also true is that almost no one joins the military without it
being a very individual decision that may be heavily strained by
psychological forces.

I don't think even half the recruits know what they're getting
themselves into when it comes to joining the military.  I just feel
sorry for all of them, because, that's me, that's my life too when I
project myself into their lives, cuz I made a lot of decisions that I
later was locked into and had to get tough enough to honor my words
and complete my promises.

Show me a recruitment poster that details and explains what will
happen to a recruit in boot camp.  Where is anyone warned that your
drill sergeant can take your ass into a small room and beat the living
hell out of you?  Where's it say on the posters that a businessman
will be allowed to make BILLIONS OF DOLLARS when he tells you to put
your life on the line for Haliburton?

Army general after Army general has been fired by that pissant in the
ten gallon hat, but you're saying that most of the troops believe in
our mission in the middle east?  You're such a kidder, MDixon6569, you
and that kookoo sillywilly brain.

And how you think I was calling these brave souls "baby killers," is a
mystery to me.  All wars are bad in that there's never been a war that
didn't kill babies by the truckload.  Every soldier is trained about
collateral damage.  Napalmed babies are part of the job, but loving it
is not!  These child soldiers of ours are being used for some really
evil shit, but they're innocent angels to me.  Why?  Because at 62
years of age, I finally get it just how stupid a young person can be,
how stupid I was, until, you know, just now.  Whatever they think of
themselves, whatever myths they're believing, oh so very few will
still be believing the same decades hence.  Things change.

Not one soldier has refused my money, none of them took offense in any
way that would indicate they felt insulted by me.  I'm an American,
and I get to have an opinion, and if my government is wrong I get to
protest it, but these kids are pawns in a big game, and I simply
cannot fault them for not having clarity about their roles, and as
patronizing as I am coming off here, they were all young innocent
children only few years earlier in their lives.  I think they all knew
where I was coming from.  They knew I could see their integrity and
honored it -- even if sometimes that integrity had them killing babies.

The other day, a police officer killed his partner in a friendly fire
incident -- a shoot out with a bad guy.  That's war.  The good folks
get killed too, but no one will make that poor cop feel any worse,
right?  Stress makes for mistakes.

I know that we see the psychology of our troops in such films as Three
Kings, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, Catch 22, and on and on.
Yes, there are folks who LIKE to kill babies, who are proud of their
hatred of slopes, wops, and krauts. Oh, there's plenty of wrongness.
But when I see a kid with the bloom of youth still unfaded and headed
to Iraq, THAT'S THE FIRST BABY I WANT TO SAVE!

Sorry, MDixon6569, I think you've misinterpreted me to some degree.

But, yeah, ego galore here.

Edg

http://www.aol.com.