I downloaded this film some time ago, but never got around
to watching it until last night. I think that subconsciously
I was waiting to watch it near the area in which it was filmed,
and in which the story takes place.

It's Spain, 1944. The revolution is over, and Franco's troops
have won. Outposts have been created at the various frontiers
to fight against the still-active anti-Fascists. And into one
of these outposts is brought Ofelia (the real star of the movie,
a young actress to watch), the stepdaughter-against-her-will to
a sadistic Fascist Captain (Sergi Lopez, in a fine but unsympa-
thetic performance), whom her mother has married because he
knocked her up and wants his unborn son more than he wants
anything else in his life. And, of course, he pays for things
like food and clothing, stuff that she'd otherwise have little
access to in Franco's Spain, since her husband (Ofelia's father)
was killed in the revolution as a traitor to the Franco forces.

Gnarly situation. Ofelia deals with it the way she deals with
other gnarly situations, by retreating into an inner world
that only she can see. This world is full of fairies and laby-
rinths and fauns and giant frogs and menacing quasihuman beasts
with their eyes in the palms of their hands. In this inner
world she is a Princess of the realm, someone who had lost her
way in a previous incarnation and become trapped in the gnarly
world of Fascist Spain. All she has to do to return to the
world that she originally came from is to accomplish three
dangerous tasks, before the moon becomes full.

This is such a marvelous movie, in so many ways, that I can't
really go into it here. Seamless special effects make Ofelia's
world bloom as accurately for her as it does for us. There
is great acting not only from the aforementioned Ivana Baquero,
who plays Ofelia, and Sergi Lopez, but one of Ofelia's few
friends in the Fascist outpost is played by Maribel VerdĂș, the
radiant and very talented star of "Y tu mama tambien." She is
in a way the heroic counterpart in the "real" world of Ofelia
in her world.

One of the things that I find most interesting about this film,
and one of the main reasons I'm writing about it to Fairfield
Life, is the sheer consistency of one trend in the reviews of
this film I saw in the press. Many critics loved it; I first
discovered the film because it wound up on so many critics'
Ten Best of 2006 lists. But almost without exception, each
of those critics refers to Ofelia's world as "imaginary,"
the unreal place that she retreats into to escape the
horror of her everyday reality.

I find that very interesting, because I saw the entire film --
both the shock of Franco's Spain and the beauty/awe of Ofelia's
world -- as equal partners in a very real visionscape. I saw
the whole film as mythic, and what the critics saw as Ofelia's
retreats into fantasy I saw as merely a psychic twostep into
another dimension, a separate reality, a parallel universe,
to which she alone has access because she alone can see it.

I think this is a *marvelous* film, and suspect that many here
might find it interesting, too. Marek in particular (I think
it was you I had the short conversation with about simultaneous
incarnations) might like it. Just think of Ofelia as bouncing
back and forth between two simultaneous incarnation-streams,
trying to make sense of the simultaneity of it all.

If you do watch it, the countryside it's filmed in looks a lot
like where I am right now, in Catalunya. That kind of rocky,
rugged, rolling countryside, but in my case ending at a beach.
Think Big Sur, except that they speak Catalan and Spanish here.
That and there are fewer "So you want lipo with that pina
colada" bars in Big Sur. But in Big Sur they make the women
wear the top parts of their bathing suits, so that kinda
speaks for itself, doesn't it?