Turq,

Here we go again with another "God" discussion.

To me a saint is not a do gooder, but is instead a
"do-whateverer-for-God.  (Oh, take those fingers out of your ears and
stop saying la la la la la non-stop, I think I can win you over on
this.  And if not, probably your withering return fusillade will be
ecstatically painful, and hey, I'm up for a purifying lashing. Sudden
thought:  I bet we could form a religion for S&M-ers by showing them
that their fetishistic attachments are, spiritually speaking, merely a
tad shy of being acts of eschewing materiality. We could have windfall
profits on yagya blessed whips, for instance.)

Krishna told Arjuna to kill. And killing is always a sin, but
upholding dharmic morals is a higher goal -- that's the loop hole of
all religions when they must authorize social slaughter: "God wants it
this way instead."  So, Arjuna is told, "Whence this fainthearted
blemish?  Pick up that broken chariot wheel, an unsanctified weapon,
and while your twin brother, Karna, is not looking, with a dastardly
ungentlemanly show of poor sportsmanship, smite this cancer of your
caste on the back of his head before he remembers that mantra Brahma
gave him and he nukes the entire battlefield with a Sanskrit poem."

God cheats Himself, cuz that's the only way to pull a fast one on
One's self when One is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent,
omnivorous, omniomanipadme, you know, all the OM's.

The essence of drama is knowing one's lines but saying them like they
had never been thought of until just when spoken, but when the drama
grinds to a halt, God has to break the rules -- i.e. write new lines
on the spot -- so that evolution can take place.

This is the three-body problem restated in that EVEN GOD doesn't have
the math to get from A to B in the gravitational presence of C, but
must do course corrections along the way.  God gets the drama's
characters into "absolute corners" with no wiggle room left -- here's
Arjuna facing his equally endowed brother who additionally has that
end-everything mantra, and there is just no way for Arjuna to best
Karna, and yet that is what must happen if the story's plot is to move
forward.  So like all authors, arbitrary willy nilly capricious
serendipity and SINNING is a tool for God.  Otherwise, everything goes
poof in a Shiva heartbeat.

But wait, I was supposed to be talking about saints.

A saint is someone who is, since sainthood, in the audience -- not on
the stage.  The saint is viewing all the characters on the stage
knowing that once she-he thought her-himself to be merely ONE of the
role players -- not the NON-UN-GRASPABLE behind them all.

A saint sees the drama's characters with the same clarity that Valentine
Michael Smith (Stranger in a Strange Land) had when he watched the
monkeys in the zoo beating up each other and moving the shit downhill.
He started laughing.  He was suddenly free of any desire for the
monkeys to act otherwise. Why?  He suddenly understood Krishna's
words:  "Unfathomable are the ways of Karma, oh Arjun."

A saint cannot be found on the stage.  Point at Ramana Maharshi and
yell SAINT SAINT SAINT as loudly as you might, and the Ramana body
will say, "Ain't no one here that answers to that name, try asking at
then next ashram."

There's that joke about the jungle explorer who is told by a local
priest not to wipe off the Foo Bird's droppings that had just landed
on his head.  The explorer scoffs, wipes, and then is struck dead by
lightning.  The priest says, "If the Foo shits, wear it."

Well, saints understand that.  The character on stage will do whatever
the author's written no matter the consequences.  Funny thing is that
the other characters cannot do otherwise, but they're written AS IF
they have free will.  The saint character merely has the knowledge
that the author is speaking extemporaneously through her-him, doing
course corrections on the plot donchaknow, cuz the other characters,
being like algorithms, have no karmic flexibility.

A saintly act is grease for the cogs, white out for God's typing, a
cattle prod used by Jack Baur on his BEST friend when Jack has the
slightest thought that that BEST friend knows something that could
allow Jack to thwart a terrorist.

Like that, God's saints are doing improv. They're in on THE JOKE OF
GOD. (Yoke of God?) And like all comedy, it hurts when the laughter is
deepest.

I say, "Let's all give up being good -- for Lent."  For forty days,
let's all wear the Foo Shit."

Stop the buck, wear the guck, fuck the luck, love that muck, and have
a yuck being a puck.  Let God whack you across the ice through Satan's
legs and into the net.

Something like that.  A Sunday morning thingy.

Edg