In 1984-85, the DEA refused to wait for the procedural path of
hearings and testimony re the actual scientific evidence and
anecdotal findings from clinical psychologists and therapists who
were using MDMA in counseling, and made an emergency determination
that MDMA was a Schedule I substance with no medical or scientific
value whatsoever.

Later that same year (1985) the administrative judge who did review
the documentation and evidence provided by the DEA as well as
scientists and doctors made the determination that MDMA should be a
Schedule III substance, available for both research and prescription
use. In his recommended ruling, contained in his full findings and
rulings at

http://tinyurl.com/2f9cf7

the judge rejected the DEA's and the government's position on MDMA,
writing "The administrative law judge recommends that the proposed
findings and conclusions submitted by the participants be rejected by
the Administrator, except to the extent they are included in the
judge's recommendations, for the reason that they are irrelevant,
unduly repetitious or not supported by substantial evidence."

Unfortunately, the law allows the DEA to trump the admin law judge's
determination and to continue with emergency scheduling despite the
evidence.

**