Richard,

I believe Patanjali had inherited the knowlege of the nature of the
divine through his vedic background.  He was confirming and validating
some of the techniques to realize the Self.  Based on Iyengar's
translation of the Yoga Sutras, I came to a conclusion that each sutra
can be analyzed and dissected in many ways based on the various
traditions of vedic knowledge.  Iyengar's translation has given me the
impression that the path of yoga is very austere and time consuming.

On the other hand, MMY's explanation of the Yoga Sutras makes the path
of yoga appear easy and accessible.

Regards,

John R.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J. Williams"