--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Uh, with all due respect, the only thing Jesus
> > has ever been "accused of," and in some of the
> > Gospels excised from the Bible, no less, was
> > that he was *married* to Mary Magdalene. Which,
> > of course, would have been perfectly acceptable
> > for a rabbi.
> >
> > One should be careful not to project one's modern
> > hangups about sex onto a period of history in
> > which they are inappropriate.
> >
> > As far as I can tell, the myth of Jesus' celibacy
> > was made up long after his death by uptight men
> > to justify their own inability to relate to half
> > of the human race.
>
> Which brings us back to the theme of the Da Vinci Code.  I believe
> the author was trying to imagine the possibility of the divine and
> humans, a product of the earth or matter, coming together as one.
> Then, their descendants will perpetuate a new race of people here
> on earth.

Either that or the author (whom I do not defend
and who I don't think a lot of as an author, and
who stole all the material he based his book upon
from other researchers) believes, as I do, that
Christ was never "divine." That is, he was not in
any way an "avatar." He was Just Another Human
who realized the full potential of being human.

I know that many people don't like to consider this,
and find some comfort or inspiration in believing
that Christ was NOT human, and that he was somehow
"divine" and the literal Son Of God. I don't find
that inspiring. Where is the impetus for someone
to follow his example if Christ only got to where
he got to, consciousness-wise, because he was
"special." I find inspiration in the idea that
he was Just Another Human, just like me and you.
If he could do the things he did *as* a human,
then so can we. If the only reason that he could
do them was because he was "special," then we
*can't* aspire to doing those things.

Natch, I feel the same way towards those seekers
who project "specialness" or "avatarhood" onto
their modern-day teachers, whether those teachers
be Maharishi or Mother Meera or whomever. I do
*understand* the desire to believe that your teacher
is "special" and be inspired by that thought, but I
think that seekers are depriving themselves of a
potentially *greater* source of inspiration by
taking that route. If the teacher is cool because
he or she is "special," that's one level of inspir-
ation. But if the teacher is Just Another Human,
just like us, and achieved cool *anyway*, then
so can we.