For the film freaks on this forum (and I know that
there are a few of you out there), I can highly
recommend a fun compilation that was done for the
recent 60th Cannes Film Festival. It's currently
showing on the Canal+ channels here, and it consists
of 35 short (2-4 minutes) films created by invited
by the festival to celebrate cinema and their feel-
ings about it, as suggested by the title -- To Each
His Own Cinema.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0973844/

We're talking about shorts by directors like Lars
von Trier (a dark but hilarious piece about what
many film viewers have fantasized doing to those
who talk in cinemas), David Lynch (as you might
expect, surrealistic and incomprehensible to the
max), David Cronenberg (pseudo news coverage of
the last Jew in the world committing suicide in
the last cinema in the world), Roman Polanski
(Cinéma Erotique), Gus van Sant, Claude Lelouch,
Billie August, Jane Campion, Michael Cimino, the
Coen brothers, Andrei Konchalovsky, Ken Loach,
Wim Wenders, Kar Wai Wong, and others.

Great fun! People who just *love* the cinema, and
have devoted their lives to their love affair with
the cinema, taking a few moments from their busy
schedules to create short love letters to their
beloved. I don't know whether it'll ever be
released on DVD or in theaters in the US, but if
it is, and you share these directors' love of
movies, you might want to join in the fun.

As for the token FFL "TM content" rule, the David
Lynch segment does not seem to be contained in the
version of the film they're showing on Canal+. It
was shown during the opening ceremonies of the
festival, and I saw it then. Suffice it to say
that it was weird. If you weren't in the business
of making excuses for Lynch because he's a TMer,
you might suspect that it had been made by a
psychopath. The reaction of the audience at the
ceremony was stunned silence, followed by sporadic
polite applause. This might have something to do
with why it's not in the version being shown on
Canal+.

My favorite is by Chen Kaing, and starts with a
flashback to kids in a backwater village in China,
trying to watch a movie in an improvised theater
by pedaling their bikes to generate enough power
to run the projector. They're watching a silent
Charlie Chaplin film, and laughing to beat all
because of course it's universal. A night watchman
arrives and chases off the kids before they can
see the end of the film. All of the kids but one.
He's still sitting there because he's blind, and
can't run away. Instead he says to the watchman,
"Can't we finish the film?" Flash forward to 2007,
and the blind kid is now grown, and is using his
cane to tap his way into a movie theater. He's
still in love with the movies, even though he's
never been able to see even one of them.

Those who love film understand. These directors
all understand.