> wrote:
> >
> > One of my favorite lines from one of my favorite movies, "The
> > Hudsucker Proxy".
> >
> > In fact it isn't even a spoken line.  When the blueprint for the
> > extruded plastic dingus in question is drawn up (and I don't want
> > spoil it for you if you haven't yet seen the film by telling you
what
> > it is), the as-yet unnamed item is described on the blueprint as
> > an "Extruded plastic dingus".
> >
> > You know, for kids.
>
> I saw that movie again just the other day. Because
> they had a new film they were showing at Cannes,
> one of my satellite channels had a Coen Brothers
> festival. So I got to see a lot of their films
> again. Cool guys, always with something to say.
>
> Didn't you have an extruded plastic dingus when
> you were a kid?

I did, but I was horrible at it.  My older brother could do it from
the get go.  But I had about as much luck with coordinating my body
with it as I did in riding horses: that is, my ass never moved in
rhythm with the horse.  When it went up, the saddle went down and
when my ass went down, the saddle went up. Ouch!

> I sure did. I was good with it,
> too. I was the block extruded plastic dingus
> champ. Sometimes I wish I still had one...you
> know...for adults.  :-)
>
> [ After having written that, I realize that any-
> one out there who hasn't seen the film might get
> a slightly different impression of what I was
> doing when I was playing with my extruded plastic
> dingus than the one I intended. :-) T'ain't so.
> The preceding was a completely G-rated post. ]

On the cover of one of the DVD versions of the film, Tim Robbins is
shown with the extruded plastic dingus!  If I was one of the Coen
Brothers I would be quite angry at the marketing department of the
studio.  One of the fun parts of seeing the movie is the "reveal";
that is, when it is revealed to the viewer what "it" is.

An example of movie marketing where the studio doesn't give a rat's
ass whether they ruin the fun for the viewer.

Another example of that is a wonderful documentary called "Mail Order
Wife".  I don't want to spoil it for anyone but if you haven't seen
the movie, just order it...don't read about it or look at the extras
in the DVD...just put it on and see the documentary.

On another subject: the Coen Brothers are wonderful with catch
phrases, such as "extruded plastic dingus".  Now, they aren't mass-
appeal catchphrases the way Mike Myers' catch phrases are (and Myers
is probably the champion in this regard with a whole slew that have
earned common use status in the English language like "do I make you
horny" and "Schwing!").

The Coen Brothers' catch phrases are more on the esoteric side and
are NOT likely to become part of the regular lexicon.  My favorite of
theirs is from the movie "Miller's Crossing" in which everyone in the
movie greets everyone else with "What's the Rumpus?" instead of "how
are you?".  After seeing that movie for the first time, I used it for
about a month but people just thought I was nuts (except for the one
or two who had actually seen the film).

Anther one from "Hudsucker Proxy" is "sure, sure"; that is, at least
the way that Paul Newman delivers the phrase numerous times
throughout the movie.  Another is the way Tim Robbins
pronounces "karma" with the accept on the "ma" instead of the "kar"
part.