--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
One of Byron Katie's questions is "Can you absolutely know that's
true?" If you're really honest, the answer has to be "no." Is there
anything we can know with absolute certainty, other than, perhaps, "I am"?
---------

I'm going to riff on your statement, Rick. Doing this just to see how
it comes out -- for the thousandth time.

Funnily enough, having the thought, "I am," is not "pure amness being
experienced."  It is a thought, and during pure amness, hey, no thoughts.

Additionally, the ego is non-sentient. It is a process of the nervous
system -- it cannot know even one thing -- it is an activity, merely
one noise that accompanies all the other ways a nervous system can
make a noise -- only this particular noise gets an inordinate amount
of attention while the other dynamics of human experiencing are "more
in the background."

Quick, what message is your elbow saying to you right now?  See? It's
always there trying to get your attention too -- always cluing you in.
 Your whole damned shebang is trying to get attention, do its dance,
but the ego won't get off stage!

Amness is not an experience.  The ego is unified when one (ego) has
transcended-dissolved into amness, so there's "no one" to experience
anything -- other than our good old faithful Absolute.  The Absolute
is the only sentience -- amness is to Absolute as dummy is to
ventriloquist.

Amness is illusory.  A representation.  A symbol.  An activity of a
nervous system that, partially only, it is as close as a map can be to
the territory without being the territory. Brahma poses as Brahman and
fools everyone, including Himself.  Even the purity of amness cannot
find purchase on the Absolute which cannot be stained by any
conditional.

When the ego re-emerges from transcendence, it REMEMBERS the amness --
that is, it has a thought about having had (been) that experience in
the very recent past.  That thought will seem to be UTTERLY VALID, but
it is just another thought that can merely at best symbolize unity
while being an act of duality.

Certainly we cannot doubt our own sentience.  BOTH my I's are here
when I'm in the waking state.  I (ego) am here now, and I (Absolute)
witness it with perfect stealthiness -- but no ego can catch me doing
it!  Once manifested out of the primal unity of amness, the ego says
"I exist," but the Absolute says, "That's what you're settling for?
Why not have all of non-existence too!  -- and then some!"

Because the ego thinks that only it symbolizes sentience-witnessing,
the human experience is impoverished in that all the other symbols of
existing -- heart beats, breathing, paper cut pain, whatever -- are
not allowed to be honored as equally representative of the unbounded
fecundity of amness -- in a word, sacred -- as important as the ego --
deserving as much right to be objects of consciousness as the ego.

The heart speaks in its own way, right?  Don't nee no steekink thoughts!

Everything is talking to you.  The wholeness sings!  Unfortunately,
the ego thinks it's the star of the choir!

So, though the thought, "I am" is a bazzillionth of the whole of
experiencing, the ego is completely hoggy in grabbing one's identity.

Talk about being small as an atom!  Talk about being a nit instead of
a wit!

You always see that tiny little wandering monk way down at the bottom
of these huge paintings of Asian landscapes.  That's the right way to
think of the ego amongst the wilderness of its nervous system's many
operations.  These monks are humble, know their insignificant heft,
and are honored to be the pretend observer of the rest of creation.

Ah, that felt good.  I'll probably do it again soon.

Edg