--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this list, so I hope the following post is appropriate.
>It is
> also somewhat lengthy, for which I apologise - conciseness was
>never my
> strong point. But I am in search of a spot of advice, and wondered
>if anyone
> here could help...
> <large snip>
> There are, of course, non-mantra based meditations. But those that
>I have
> encountered seem based around the breath. And although this would
>indeed
> seem universal, what quiet I do find through TM comes when thought
>of breath
> has fallen away (as a woodwind musician, I am rarely unaware of, if
>not
> actively controlling, my breath).
>
> Hmm. I'm not sure there is a question in the above, so much as a
>seeking of
> thoughts and opinion. Is the mantra used of importance? If so, why?
>If not,
> why?! Do there by any chance exist other non mantra-based, non-
>religious,
> 'aimless' meditations? Are my thought processes described above
>flawed? If
> so, why and how?
>
> Anyways, thanks for reading this far, and any advice would be
>greatfully
> received.
>
> John

Yes, check out some books by Dr. David R. Hawkins for instance.
Western enlightened spiritual guy who gives out secular meditation
practices.  For the longterm non-secular meditator his books and
talks can be excellant advanced checking of spiritual experience.

An Interesting synthesis in a life, of apex of Western and Eastern
experience with meditation, spiritual experience and enlightenment
as, secular.  Similar to Eastern veneer of 'gurus' from India or Asia
& yet without the cultural non-secular trip-traps of their shows.

In his books there often are short description of productive secular
spiritual practice meditation.

You might like his books for your experience.  Highly spiritual and
like a modern-day Emerson.

-Doug in FF