snip

 What struck me -- and the reason I am moved to post on thi subject
was that when I would stick my head in I got an immediate "sense
memory".  I don't know if that is the correct term to use, but
the "sense" was the sense of smell: the combination of the leather,
plastic and metal that were used in production in the '60s all seemed
to gell together and give off an emanation that brought me right back
to when I was a kid!

I know.  That happens frequently to me to greater or less degrees.
But a year or two ago, I was looking at compilation of Dick and Jane
books one of my kids had.  For a few moments I was right back in the
first grade reliving in what seemed great detail that whole period. I
mean, I was "right there" again. BTW, I know, as probably most here,
that exact smell you're tallking about.  I remember speeding down the
highway in my Mom's black cadillac, no seatbelt of course.  Or
sometimes we would be in my Dad's Courvair, but that did not seem to
have quite the same "smell package"

lurk