Shemp McGurk wrote:
> Who is the "I" in your paragraph above?

Me. But I haven't talked to you in about four years since
Judy waxed you real good over on A.M.T. and you split with
your tail between your legs. What's up with that?

> You?

Who do you think I was talking about - Lon P. Stacks or
Victoria Bonds? I've been pretty busy myself latley packing
for my move to the Upper Kashi.

> Because Allen Ginsberg didn't meet Maharishi at Helen's
> house in Los Angeles, as you claim above, but in London:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2v2em5

Maybe so.

Apparently Allen was in London in February 1968, but he
was in Los Angeles, California in January 1967. I took
Allen to see the Marshy at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium.
The next night we went to see the Fuggs. Allen was shaking
all over, afraid that the feds were going to arrest him any
minute, so I suggested we meditate in the back yard with
the Marshy.

About a week later I taught Allen how to meditate when
we were on a flight to San Francisco to work with Doug Sahm.
Allen called for me at the stage door of the Cow Palace.
Sahm was playing a concert there with the Jefferson Airplane.
Later that night I taught Allen how to chant the Hare
Krishna mantra in Mike Love's hotel room at the Airport
Holiday Inn.

"When he arrived for a short stay before returning to India,
he was given a hero's welcome, and was greeted by a couple
of thousand people at Los Angeles International Airport. He
gave a lecture at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, which
was full to the bursting point, and is said to have met
prominent muscians such as Mick Jagger and members of the
Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane. Everywhere he went,
he spoke to packed houses, extolling the power of the young
generation to turn the wortld on to his meditation" (Mason 125).

Source:

'The Maharishi'
By Paul Mason
Element Books, 1994

According to Ned Wynn, the author of "We Will Always Live
in Beverly Hills", I was one of the biggest drug dealers
in Hollywood at one time. I gave drugs of all kinds,
including Pharmaceutical Methadone to all the rock bands
including the Jefferson Airplane, the Grateful Dead, and
Jim Morrison and the Doors, just to name a few. Except I
never took any drugs myself - I've always been a Tequila
man, chased with Mescal.

According to Ned, I once gave a lid to Bob Dylan at a
motel downtown and gave a tab to Timothy Leary backstage
at a Donovan concert. Every time that the Rolling Stones
came to town they called me for drugs and hookers. At one
time, according to Ned, I was the most valuable player
in town! I drove a flashy car and I had a big fat wallet
full of cash. According to Ned, I used to have four wives,
one of whom was a full-blooded Cherokee Indian Princess.

That is, until I met the Maharishi at Mother Olsen's house
and discovered TM in her back yard. I got enlightened on
the spot. From that moment on I passed out leaflets for
the Maharishi promising enlightement in about 5-7 years,
instead of passing out LSD. According to Ned, it was I
who helped the Maharishi write his Commenatary on the
Bhagavad Gita up at Lake Arrowhead, along with Debbie
Jarvis.

I told Allen Ginsberg and Rick Stanley all about TM and
he told Ned Wynn; I told Ray Manzerek and Mike Love,
Jackson Brown and John Kay and they all started TM becasue
I told them that it was better than any drug. I even
introduced Allen Ginsburg to the Maharishi, big mistake.

According to Ned Wynn, I was instrumental in getting the
Maharishi to start Maharishi Ayer-Veda! I coined the phrase
TM and SCI and helped found MIU in 1971 in Santa Barbara
with Robert Kieth Wallace. According to Ned, I used to
drive Jerry Jarvis to lectures all over California and
I helped him found SIMS in 1965. According to Beaulah
Smith I was TM initiate #212 in the U.S. and one of the
first TMers in California, right after Nancy Cooke de
Herrera.

You've read her book, right?

I didn't think so, but since you're so intersted in
my story, you can read more about me in another popular
paperback book by Martin Ebon which was  entitled
"Maharishi, His Life/His Times/His Teachings/His Impact",
which I helped him edit.

The soft cover edition of this book is very rare and
has an oval black and white likeness of Maharishi on
the cover, a photo which was taken by me at the Olsons'
house in 1964. Inside, on the frontispiece it says:
"Martin Ebon has compiled a fascinating record of this
phenomenal Hindu monk - his life, his work, his impact."

Included in the book is an interview with two of the
Beatles; a chapter entitled "The case of Mia Farrow";
other chapters cover an exploration of yoga, meditation
and mantras, as well as the most up-to-date reports
on the TM movement at the time.

In this book are also chapters on "Maharishi's Man in
L.A.", about Jerry Jarvis, and a chapter called "His
Global Man Friday", about Charles F. Lutes. The context
in which I am mentioned occurs in the chapter entitled
"The Hippies: Beyond Pot and LSD."

Here's an excerpt for your perusal:

"Before visiting the off-campus headquarters of the
Students International Meditation Society we made a call
at a "family" of so-called hippies in the Laurel Canyon
section of Hollywood. The "family" consisted of
approximately 150 people housed in four sprawling buildings -
on the old Tom Mix estate. These were the elite hippies
in this area. Their numbers included some of the leaders
who seemed to command the respect and admiration of other
hippies, both in the Los Angeles and San Francisco regions."

"We talked to a former Air Force captain - a member of
the hippie community or "family". We will simply call
him Jack. He said his group was described as the "head
of the psychedelic movement on the West Coast." Jack has
had wide experience in many countries - was out of the
country for seven years during one period...He is now
preparing to take up the Maharishi's meditation technique.
Jack met Maharishi personally during the latter's lecture
series in 1966. When Maharishi arrived in 1966, most of
the "family" went to see him. In fact many met him at
Los Angeles International Airport, and then attended his
lectures" (Ebon 99-108).

Work cited:

"Maharishi, His Life/His Times/His Teachings/His Impact"
By Martin Ebon, Editor
The New American Library, 1968.
Paper. Out of print. Rare.

Note to interested readers:

This hack-job chapter was written by one John Bilby, an
erstwhile reporter for the Los Angeles Times, who failed
to get his facts straight. To Mr. Bilby, virtually everyone
on the planet in those days was a hippie. Bilby got most
of his inspiration from two books by T. Lobsang Rampa,
that I lent him, plus he read the "Oracle", a famous
undergound newspaper that I edited at the time.

Bilby was very impressed that I headed a large commune
that routinely practiced nudity, ate raw food, and
practiced many other enjoyable group activities such
as camp-meets. When I first read Ebon's book, back in
late '68, I was somewhat taken aback and offended by
Bilby's crass reporting.

However, on re-reading the book recently with Rita,
after all these years, I can't stop myself from laughing
my fukin' head off, thinking that I "packed" the Wilshire
Ebell Theater with stoned-out rock stars for the Maharishi!