--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Kenny H" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi There, I have a question for you. The author of the book, "The
> Tibetan Book of Living and Dying" is Sogyal Rinpoche. Is this his
> actual name and if you looked him up in an index would his name be
> listed as:
>
> Rinpoche, Sogyal
>
> or is one of these words/names a title?
>
> Thank you!!

'Rinpoche' is a title, meaning 'precious one.' It
has far less of a meaning in the West than in a
strong, structured Tibetan tradition. In many
such traditions, one really has to *earn* the
title of 'Rinpoche,' and it would be considered
an affront of the highest order to call yourself
'Rinpoche' without having deserved the title.
Flash forward to the West, where no one has much
of any idea about the traditions in question, and
anyone can call themselves what they want.

So. Are there people out there on the spiritual
smorgasbord circuit who call themselves 'Rinpoche'
who never did anything to deserve the title? You
betcha. Is Sogyal Rinpoche one of them? I don't
think so. His title seems to have been well-
earned; AFAIK he's a legitimate Tibetan Dzogchen
master of the Nyingma tradition. His organization,
Rigpa, is worldwide; there are even branches near
where I live in France.

That said, he has not been above controversy him-
self, having been accused in 1994 by a female
devotee of having coerced her into a sexual rela-
tionship with him. One blogger, who runs a site
called the Integral Options Cafe, refers to him
as "a perfect example of a flawed man who was still
a valuable teacher." Like Chogyam Trungpa before
him, Sogyal Rinpoche seems to be capable of being
very human while writing some of the best Buddhist
teachings going. His "The Tibetan Book of Living
and Dying" is an absolute classic. Go figure.