With the film analogy, Rick's. recently posted exchange with friends
come to mind.  Like two actors meeting 30 years after having done
college drama together.

Guy1: "So you are still doing community theatre like when I last saw you?"

Guy2: "Yeah, its the greatest. Its by far the fastest track to the
top, especially my theatre in located in Podunk, a town of 10,000 in
the midwest, far from any urban center."

Guy1: "Really?"

Guy2: "Oh totally! Its the only way to get to the top. Its like a
rocketship. You are really missing out! We do the same play over and
over again, every season, with some minor variations to expand our range."

Guy1: " And what actors from your theatre have actually made it to the
top?"

Guy2: " You just don't get it do you! Thasts so irrelevant a question.
Why are you so hostile and angry. Is it because of my great success?"

Guy1: "No I am just trying to understand. I have found more value by
going into films. I have done 25 in the last 30 years. Mostly
character bits, some supporting actor roles. I auditioned for a couple
of leads, but that didn't work out. Which is fine with me, I am not
sure its what its cracked up to be. A lot more pressure, and one of
the few if only benefits seems to be that a higher class of women seem
interested in you. Like what Jack has found."

guy2: "Oh you are SO deluding yourself that success in fims has
ANYTHING to do with "going to the top"

Guy 1: "What exactly does "going to the top" mean to you?

Guy2: "Why are you so incredibly hostile!!! This 'new role every year
thing' is clearly turnig you into a self-absorbant  asshole"

Guy1: "Yeah, I played one of those a couple of years ago. It was
fascinating. It really stretched my range. A couple of years earlier,
 I played the  opposite -- a midievel Irish monk. Last year I played a
journalist in WWII and the final scene was me being gunned down on a
beach as I ran with an exclusive story which would have changed the
course of the war. Gotta love the rapid swithcing of the roles back
and forth. It really matures you as an actor."

Guy2: "Oh what bullshit. You clearly are on a dead-end path and are
totally hostile and angry about my huge success in community theatre
in Podunk playing the same role for 30 years. THATS the TRUE path to
"the top".