<shempmcgurk@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Aside from being a really great "mob genre" series, Chase did
> some
> > > very interesting things with "The Sopranos".  And the thing
that
> > > stands out for me is the way he didn't sugar-coat the utter
> > nastiness
> > > and depravity of the mob.
> > >
> > > I'm referring specifically to the tendency of Hollywood to
> glorify
> > > the mob, personified by "The Godfather" movies and the way the
> > > mobsters are, ultimately, portrayed as noble warriors.
> >
> > Er, no, they're ultimately portrayed as
> > pathetic losers. You think that last shot
> > of Michael as he reflects on just having
> > murdered his dim-witted brother shows him
> > as a "noble warrior"?
>
> Yes, absolutely.
>
> It was his "Arjuna" moment.  And how much nobler can you get than
> that?
>
> Arjuna had to make the ultimate noble sacrifice: kill his entire
> family.  Michael Corleone killed his older brother because it was
> the "right" thing to do business-wise (it wasn't personal; it was
> business).

Which is what makes him so pathetic at the end.
There's no "nobility" in killing a family member
for the sake of your business. That's the ultimate
in heartless materialism and lust for power.

<snip>
> > It seems to me that the ending--again, from what
> > I've read about it--was very much designed as a
> > roll-your-own. Each viewer could imagine what
> > followed the black screen according to what they
> > wanted to happen--which seems entirely consistent
> > with what Chase had been doing all along,
> > portraying both Tony's monstrous side and his
> > human side, and letting viewers make their own
> > individual judgments.
>
> You haven't watched any of the "Sopranos".  I've pretty
> well seen all 86 episodes.

Yeah, but I've been reading viewer reaction. If
Chase wanted the audience to find Tony contemptible,
as you maintain, he failed with a lot of viewers.
I don't have to see any of the series to say that.