> Just a comment related to "The 'I did it, therefore it
> must be the dharma' phenomenon" topic I started today:
>
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, nablusoss1008 <no_reply@>
wrote:

> > But there will always be those who refuse to see that they are
> > harming themselves by their own actions done from their own free
> > will. Then perhaps they end up in a clinic with a nervous
> > breakdown or worse, on a railwayline.
> >
> > What is sickening by your endless crusade about SatGurus who is
> > there with you and blabla, is that you, Ron or whoever, do not
> > seem to understand that you are responsible for your own
> > evolution.
>
> Interesting juxtaposition of ideas.
>
> In the first paragraph, those who use their free will
> are "harming themselves," and may end up institutionalized.
>
> In the next paragraph, these same people are responsible
> for their own evolution.
>
> It would seem to me that Nablus is saying that their
> "responsibility" revolves around *doing what they are
> told to do*. Anything else is potentially harmful, and
> may result in being institutionalized or committing
> suicide. The only valid use of "free will" is to DO
> WHAT YOU'VE BEEN TOLD BY MAHARISHI.
<snip>
> He doesn't even see a conflict between demonizing
> free will in his first paragraph and then stating
> that everyone is responsible for their own evolution
> in the next paragraph.

Hmm, I thought you insisted that being able
to hold two contradictory ideas in one's mind
at once without seeing a conflict was a sign
of advanced spiritual development.

I guess it's only such a sign when you do it.
When a TMer does it, it's "doublethink."

In any case, though, what Nablus said about
free will isn't at all contradictory.

Suppose you were taking Valium for a back problem,
and your doctor told you not to quit taking the
Valium cold turkey because it might lead you to
commit suicide. You quit cold turkey anyway and
shortly thereafter commit suicide.

Would it be "demonizing" free will to point out
that you were responsible for your own demise?