New.Morn - thanks for the clarification about the different San Diego Edu's.

  Unfortunately I only briefly corresponded with him in email. As far as his
possible association with the TMO, my scholar-friend did not say and I did not
ask Dr. Nelson in my emails. I've been waiting for word that he finally
published something in book form. Perhaps I should try to email him again.

  Since you have been to his website, you know this already, but here are a
couple of references for readers of this thread who might want to look deeper:

  "The Ontology of Bhakti: Devotion as Paramapurusartha in Gaudiya Vaisnavism
and Madhusudana Sarasvati."Journal of Indian Philosophy 32/4 (November, 2004):
345-392.

  "Bhakti Preempted: Madhusudana Sarasvati on Devotion for the Advaitin
Renouncer." Journal of Vaisnava Studies 6 (Winter 1998): 53-74.

  empty

  Emptiness without the ness is like
  Loch without the ness - it's sheer Lochless
  Help me o' nessy! - without you it's emptyless

"new.morning" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
          --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, billy jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> An FYI for Trinity, (and anyone else)
>
> For those interested in how krishna-bhakta manifests in the
consciousness of an advaita yogin, an excellent resource to read is
MadhusUdana Saraswati's commentary on the Bhagavad Gita. He
interweaves a word-for-word analysis of each Gita verse with many
quotes and examples of text from the yogasutras, upanishads and
brahmasutras. He wrote extraordinary bhakti text such as the
Bhakti-Rasayana but these have not been translated yet. Dr. Lance
Nelson, professor and chair of the religion department at UC-San Diego,

http://www.sandiego.edu/theo/facultystaff/nelson.php

Actually its University of San Diego -- a completely different
university than UC San Diego. Though both have stellar reputations --
and both sit on hills perched above San Diego -- but 5-10 miles apart.
Both not to be confused with SDSU -- San Diego Sate University (can
you say "party"?) -- which again sits on a hill, but more inland.

Fascinating that Lance is at USD. I do not know of him -- but lived in
SD for many years. Funny how such great resources are within walking
(aka bicycling) distance -- without even knowing it.

Does have any past TMO connection?

http://www.sandiego.edu/theo/facultystaff/nelson.php

told me in an email that he is planning to publish some of this
material in a book but I haven't seen anything yet.

> The best translation is: "Madhusudana Sarasvati Bhagavad-Gita:
with the annotation Gudhartha-Dipika" Translated by Swami
Gambhirananda 1038 page quality hardback for $19.95 (a steal)
published by Advaita Ashrama This book is available at: "Vedanta
Press and Catalog" www.vedanta.com