Comment below:

**

> On Jul 27, 2007, at 12:37 PM, Marek Reavis wrote:
>
> > This (above) is a good capsule of what Maharishi's original
> > intentions were, I feel, when he started teaching in the west.
Yoga
> > is so empirical in nature and practice and most religions
promulgate
> > most, if not all, of the elements contained in the yamas and
niyamas
> > that Maharishi could have very reasonably felt that any individual
> > following the tenets of their culture and religion while at the
same
> > time practicing TM would get the substance of Patanjali's 8 limbs.
> > It was a nice and emminently practical scheme.
>
> I can't see how anyone could take perverting a tradition which
works
> as "practical". The mechanics of why the prerequisites work are
well
> known to real yogis...and they keep creating real samadhic
absorptions.

> If we don't meet the prerequisites of samadhi, we likely won't get
it
> or keep it--even if we round for hundreds of years. That's not to
say
> some great people of exceptional circumstance could not or will
not,
> but I feel we should gear a system of practice for as many people
as
> possible, not just the few lucky ones.

**end**

Vaj, first of all, though Maharishi was snubbing tradition in his
willingness to leave the yamas and niyamas of Patanjali out of his
teachings and techniques, it was that revolutionary aspect of his
teaching that brought even the idea of meditation into the Western
world and made it part of popular Western culture.

In your opinion (and others), that was ultimately a bad decision, but
I feel that Maharishi's initial impulse was sincere and came from
heartfelt enthusiasm that what he was doing was following the
inspiration he received from Guru Dev.  His impulse wasn't to make
meditation available just for the few lucky ones, it seems to have
been to make it available for all.  To whatever degree his intentions
were unmet or later modified, it really seems unlikely to me that he
was trying to pervert the tradition; it seems more reasonable to
assume that he was trying to expand the tradition beyond the cultural
restrictions, as he saw them to be at the time, as all his speeches
and writings in the first 10 years or so of his coming out of India
express.

And for me (and obviously, several others) for whom his meditation
has proven itself to be of the highest value, it's kind of difficult
to find fault, even while recognizing that there are problems and
issues in the way his movement has played out and the fallout that
has caused in many others' lives.

Marek