David Spero asked me to post this:

From: David Spero [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2007 10:57 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Ron Paul on Separation of Church and State

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Ron Paul on Separation of Church and State

[Ron Paul...] likes to pride himself on being a Constitutionalist and
praises the Founders for their policies.

But how well does he know the Constitution? He wrote:

The notion of a rigid separation between church and state has no basis in
either the text of the Constitution or the writings of our Founding Fathers.
On the contrary, our Founders’ political views were strongly informed by
their religious beliefs. Certainly the drafters of the Declaration of
Independence and the Constitution, both replete with references to God,
would be aghast at the federal government’s hostility to religion.

Let us put aside for a second his opposition to "rigid separation between
church and state" and concentrate, not on Constitutional theory, but on
Constitutional facts. Mr. Paul claims that the Constitution is "replete with
references to God". Now replete means abundantly supplied or filled. So if
the Constitution is abundantly filled with references to God how many are
there? Let's get precise. How many times is God mentioned in the
Constitution?

Zero! And if you don't believe me you can go check Ron Paul's own
congressional website where he has a copy of the text. Go to the page and
read it yourself. It is worth reading now and then. But if you don't have
time do a page search for "God" and see all the abundant references on your
own. All zero of them.

And what about the drafters of the Declaration of Independence? That would
be Thomas Jefferson. Paul says he would be "aghast at the federal
government's hostility to religion." Hostility? Didn't Jefferson actually
say something about that? He said that the clergy, who opposed Jefferson
strongly, "believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted
in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly; for I have sworn
upon the altar of god, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over
the mind of man." Eternal hostility to the schemes to promote state
religion.

Jefferson had a lot to say about religion. Little of it would be liked by
Ron Paul. And most of it sounds pretty hostile.

Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law. In every
country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is
always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for
protection to his own. Among the sayings and discourses imputed to him
[Jesus] by his biographers, I find many passages of fine imagination,
correct morality, and of the most lovely benevolence; and others again of so
much ignorance, so much absurdity, so much untruth, charlatanism, and
imposture, as to pronounce it impossible that such contradictions should
have proceeded from the same being. And the day will come when the mystical
generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a
virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the
brain of Jupiter.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people
maintaining a free civil government. I contemplate with sovereign reverence
that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature
should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting
the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between
church and State. Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the
introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and
imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity.

Jefferson said he was a Christian only in one sense, that he thought the
moral teaching of Jesus made sense and in no other way. He did not think
Jesus was a god, the son of god, or born of a virgin. He did not believe in
prayer, divine revelation, the trinity or the resurrection. Jefferson took a
razor to his own Bible and cut out of the New Testament every reference to
the supernatural and divine. What was left has been called The Jefferson
Bible.

But the fundamentalist Right is busy pushing a revisionist view of American
history in order to fit with their theocratic agenda. And apparently Ron
Paul is willing to help. But assuming he isn't then why the lie? Ron Paul
has read the Constitution, he brags about his in depth study of the
Constitution. He has the Constitution on his website. So why claim that it
is filled with references to God when there is not a single mention of God
anywhere in the document? He knows better.

PS: I know that the Ron Paul cult troll the internet looking for ways to
boost him and cut down anyone who disagrees with St. Paul. For the record, I
am a libertarian but one who does believe in separation of church and state.
And I'd take Jefferson any day as president.

posted by GodlessZone at HYPERLINK
"http://nogodzone.blogspot.com/2007/06/ron-paul-on-seperation-of-church-and.
html"Saturday, June 16, 2007

Checked by AVG Free Edition.