**

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Reavis" <reavismarek@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Compulsion to post continued below:
> >
> > **
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >

> > **snip**
> >

> > > When it comes to enlightenment, I'm a Will Rogers
> > > populist. The "test" of how enlightened they are, and
> > > how willing they are to *do for others* is how they
> > > really *do* do for others on a daily basis. Do they
> > > eat at fancy restaurants that wouldn't allow someone
> > > poor through the front door, or do they feel comfort-
> > > able enough with themselves to eat at Denny's? And,
> > > in *either* dining establishment, how do they treat
> > > their *waitress*? Do they treat her like a human being
> > > and tip her well for her service, or do they treat her
> > > like a servant?
> > >
> > > One of the "clues" I picked up in Santa Fe about how
> > > the real world perceives those on a spiritual path
> > > was *from* waitresses. Santa Fe was kind of a New Age
> > > zoo, with almost every cult or organization represented
> > > to some extent. And all you had to do to figure out
> > > whether their spiritual path had turned them into a
> > > good person or an asshole was wait on them. The waiters
> > > and waitresses of Santa Fe *loved* certain spiritual
> > > followers, because they treated them like human beings,
> > > and they *loathed* others (like the Sikhs), because
> > > they treated them like shit, and *went out of their
> > > way* to treat them like shit.
> > >
> > > It's the same, for me, with the "enlightened." Anyone
> > > can *talk* a good game. But where the rubber meets the
> > > road is how you live your life on a daily basis, and
> > > at the end of each day, how many other people's lives
> > > you managed to improve by interacting with them.
> >
> > **snip to end**
> >
> > Turq, have to agree with you here and wholeheartedly.  I bartended and
> > waited tables for years and right before law school I owned and ran a
> > bohemian little cafe and pub in Davis, California.
>
> Where in Davis? I don't know "new" Davis that well, but I hang out for
> half a day sometimes when I am driving 80.
>
> Holy cow dung! I went to UCD.(helped set up the first TM/ JJ lectures
> there). And Turq and I though virtual strangers, have a good mutual
> friend who was "the sage of Davis" -- well, at least a guy with a good
> eclectic rap, with his finger on the pulse of the community (and
> perhaps other places).  Ran the Birenstocks store (long after I left.)
> Does DF ring a bell?
>
> Did you go to UCD law school? I used to initiate students there. When
> I was 20. Initiating people way smarter and older than me.
> Surrealistic but fun. learned a lot.

**snip to end**

New, my tenure in Davis was 1990-1997.  My (then) spouse did her
residency at UC Davis which is how we got there from Seattle where she
did her med school and I did undergrad.

The cafe/pub, Delta of Venus, which I recently learned from my
daughter has unfortunately closed, was started by two friends in '94
and my (then) romantic partner and I took it over in February '96.  I
sold it in August of '97 just a couple of days before I began law
school at U.C. Berkeley (Boalt).  The Delta was on 'B' Street and we
used to get a lot of law students from King Hall.  One of the law
school deans came nearly every day for lunch since we were the closest
eatery to the school.

"DF" doesn't ring a bell, but that's probably because of the different
times you and I resided in Davis.  However, if he still lived there
when I ran the shop he may have been a regular at the Delta since it
was the eclectic, hip place to be and the clientele ran the whole
gamut from fullface-tatooed roadrats to college deans.

It was a terribly great time in my life, full of upheavals, errors and
insights.  Lucky me.