t3rinity wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> t3rinity wrote:
>>
>>> Just wanted to send you a hello from here. I am now since about
>>>
> one
>
>>> week in Madanapalle, with a small group of people. We have a
>>>
> nice
>
>>> time, its not too hot, as Madanapalle is higher, I just bought a
>>> cycle. We were also one day in Tiruvannamalai, and stayed in one
>>>
> of
>
>>> the oldest Ashrams there.
>>>

>> I know you've traveled much to India over the years. Do you see
>>
> much
>
>> change to the country over the last ten years, especially with the
>> economy?  I know they are having a tech boom but like the US that
>> doesn't get everywhere.  But I did read an article in the local
>>
> Indian
>
>> magazine by some Indians who returned and thought they were going
>>
> waltz
>
>> right in an pick up a nice house in a great neighbor cheap and
>>
> live like
>
>> kings.  But they found that was no longer possible.
>>

> Well, I'm not buying houses or ground here, but I heard that prices
> in Tiruvannamalai for ground are doubling every year. You can also
> clearly see that Hotel prices in big cities are rising, its not
> anymore possible to have a sort of nice place for 200 rupees, so you
> rather pay up to 800 - 1000, and yet this is still good value. I
> have just eaten a very good indian meal for Rps 18. Now I get over
> 50 Rps per 1 Euro. It depends very much on where you are. There is
> still a big number of people being very poor, or even those people
> who are on the lower scale of middle class, and for them there is a
> low cost infra-structure. So, I would say its mixed. Comparatively
> to other countries its still one of the cheapest countries to live
> in. If you look at the streets, the cars, the cell-phones, much has
> changed. 10 years ago there was mainly the ambassador, now it has
> become rather rare. Tiruvannamalai is also a special example as it
> is flooded by westerners, ex-poonjaji, ex-osho. Its an elorado of
> western seekers, satsang culture with different Gurus being there.
> Best see http://arunachalagrace.blogspot.com
Thanks, it is always good to get a report from a westerner who has been
to India over the years.  I was there 10 years ago.  About that time
they were planning to leapfrog to cellular phones over wiring the
country for telephones and Internet.  Then Bill Gates visited and
created an uproar as he wanted to wire the country.  That ticked off a
lot of Indian entrepreneurs who had been working on the cellular
initiative and Gates was basically told to take a hike.  Good thing as
many poorer Indians can afford a cell phone but not a computer.  As as
things would go I would bet their cellular service is ahead of the US
services (as many are in Asia).