> Namaste Swami-G!
Namaste and Great Morning,

> *I have been working for almost four weeks now. My first impression
> didn’t last long: it’s not such a quiet place after all. The
patients
> are really emotionally disturbed and sometimes violent. I have been
> kicked and bitten several times: not that hard, but enough to be
> unpleasant and creating stress. In other situations the patients
turn
> their anger towards themselves and get self destructive. This
creates
> a pretty tense environment on the job: it’s difficult to relax,
when
> I’m at the job and the tension and stress continue to sit in my
body
> and mind, when I go home.
> It’s not as much the violence in it self, it’s more that the
patients
> are so unpredictable and unstable: the sudden outbursts of anger
and
> frustration. I’m trying to do the mantras and balanced breathing
as
> much as possible, it helps me to stay present, but still it’s
not that
> nice to be there. Very often I find it hard to think of it as seva,
> even though I do feel compassion for the patients and their deluded
> souls too.

S Seva has nothing to do with how the so called outer
circumstances - it is the inner force of love, surrender and equal
mindedness that do the work of giving. If working at this place has
jostled your perception of how things should be than it is a perfect
place for you now as life does not shape itself to your wishes - one
only stays steady within and continues with the heart and mind
directed towards God. The experiences that come when one is on the
path are due to conditions blooming/karma - always grace if
surrendered within. Stepping into places of great suffering can be
potent heart opening work - don't turn away from it, flow along with
it relax. I used to work on an involuntary psych unit where the
staff got beat up all the time - used to pay attention to the breath
while walking up and down the halls - always looked at the patients
as being my very being and treated them this way (no matter how they
looked or were behaving). Also, worked in the jail - the guards
were supposed to follow the nurse into the cell and stand by, but
they rarely did - they were always distracted or chatting away
amongst themselves. Stayed relaxed within it and was never harmed -
do not regret visiting the dark parts of existence. Now have moved
on to working with death and dying as a nurse one cleans wounds,
poop, help manage family drama- whatever the day brings. And yes,
working on the net, that is a story in itself.

S Surrender to the situation, it will become a fluid dance of
oneness in action - let go of pulling away from it - take advantage
of this opportunity.

>* When I’m not at the job I often feel anxiety when thinking
about the
> next time I have to go to work. Meditation helps, but still the
fear
> is there the next time thoughts of my job pop up. What can I do to
> make the situation more pleasant and to deal with the feeling of
> anxiety? I’m only going to work there for one more month, but
still I

S Stop trying to make it more pleasant. What is it you fear?
Imagine living the lives that those poor souls must endure.

* want to get the best out of it and learn something from the
situation.

S Continue with the practices - relax. It is a transient
situation...

> Love
>
> Carsten

Great Peace and IS,