Thanks for the article. One of the reasons, I understand, why the
German Jews didn't resist Hitler's plan of extermination was, from my
own experience as a Jew in the US, is that assimilated Jews in the
country that they are raised are more nationalistic than religious.
I'm saying this is true for the majority of secular Jews, not
orthodox, that inhabit a country over many generations. If you were to
ask me, what are you? I would tell you, I am an American first and
really have no feelings about being Jewish. This is the case for the
majority of American Jews living in the US today. When I was living in
Israel for 11 years, I noticed a strong nationalistic of their own
country of origin by those who had immigrated from their home
countries. Those born in Israel (Sabras) naturally felt Israeli
nationalism, not as a Jew, (since Israel is predominately a secular
state) but as an Israeli.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, billy jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> suziezuzie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:          I heard that Gandhi in
his philosophy of passifism once commented
> that the jew of Germany should have sat quietly in silent protest
> while Hilter exterminated them. Has anyone else heard anything about
> this?
>

>   Empty Bill helps out boys and girls!
>   What Did Gandhi Do?
> One-sided pacifist.
>   By David Lewis Schaefer
>
> In the weeks leading up to Operation Iraqi Freedom, American college
campuses were plastered with posters asking "What Would Gandhi Do?"
The implication, of course, was that the U.S. should emulate the
tactics of the celebrated Hindu pacifist who successfully led the
movement for Indian independence from Britain.

> The analogy, it should go without saying, overlooks major
differences between the two cases. Whereas the 20th-century British
were far too benign an imperial power to choose to slaughter peaceful
resisters to their rule, there's no evidence that Saddam Hussein,
already responsible for the massacre and torture of hundreds of
thousands of his countrymen (to say nothing of the many more who died
in his aggressive wars against Iran and Kuwait) would likewise have
succumbed to friendly persuasion — Jacques Chirac to the contrary
notwithstanding. (It's not that we didn't try!)
>   It is interesting, in this regard, to recall how Gandhi himself
responded to the evil perpetrated by one of Saddam's role models,
Adolf Hitler. In November, 1938, responding to Jewish pleas that he
endorse the Zionist cause so as to persuade the British government to
open Palestine to immigrants fleeing Hitler's persecution, Gandhi
published an open letter flatly rejecting the request. While
expressing the utmost "sympathy" with the Jews and lamenting "their
age-old persecution," Gandhi explained that "the cry for the national
home for the Jews does not make much appeal to me," since "Palestine
belongs to the Arabs." Instead, he urged the Jews to "make that
country their home where they are born." To demand just treatment in
the lands of their current residence while also demanding that
Palestine be made their home, he argued, smacked of hypocrisy. Gandhi
even went so far as to remark that "this cry for the national home
affords a colorable justification for the German
>  expulsion of the Jews."
>   Of course, Gandhi added, "the German persecution of the Jews seems
to have no parallel in history," and "if there ever could be a
justifiable war in the name of and for humanity, a war against
Germany, to prevent the wanton persecution of a whole race, would be
completely justified." Hitler's regime was showing the world "how
efficiently violence can be worked when it is not hampered by any
hypocrisy or weakness masquerading as humanitarianism." Nonetheless,
the Hindu leader rejected that notion, since "I do not believe in any
war." And for Britain, France, and America to declare war on Hitler's
regime would bring them "no inner joy, no inner strength."
>   Having rejected both the plea that Palestine should be offered as
a place of refuge for the Jews and the idea that the Western
democracies should launch a war to overthrow Hitler, Gandhi offered
only one avenue for the Jews to resist their persecution while
preserving their "self-respect." Were he a German Jew, Gandhi
pronounced, he would challenge the Germans to shoot or imprison him
rather than "submit to discriminating treatment." Such "voluntary"
suffering, practiced by all the Jews of Germany, would bring them, he
promised, immeasurable "inner strength and joy." Indeed, "if the
Jewish mind could be prepared" for such suffering, even a massacre of
all German Jews "could be turned into a day of thanksgiving and joy,"
since "to the God-fearing, death has no terror."
>   According to Gandhi, it would (for unexplained reasons) be "easier
for the Jews than for the Czechs" (then facing German occupation) to
follow his prescription. As inspiration, he offered "an exact
parallel" in the campaign for Indian civil rights in South Africa that
he had led decades earlier. Through their strength of suffering, he
promised, "the German Jews will score a lasting victory over the
German Gentiles in the sense that they will have converted [them] to
an appreciation of human dignity." And the same policy ought to be
followed by Jews already in Palestine enduring Arab pogroms launched
against them: if only they would "discard the help of the British
bayonet" for their defense, and instead "offer themselves [to the
Arabs] to be shot or thrown into the Dead Sea without raising a little
finger," the Jews would win a favorable "world opinion" regarding
their "religious aspiration."
>   In a thoughtful personal response dated February 24, 1939, the
Jewish philosopher Martin Buber — who had himself emigrated to Israel
from Germany a short time earlier and combined his Zionism with
earnest efforts to peacefully reconcile Jewish and Arab claims in the
Holy Land — chided Gandhi for offering advice to the Jews without any
recognition of their real situation. The individual acts of
persecution that Indians had suffered in South Africa in the 1890's
hardly compared, Buber noted, to the synagogue burnings and
concentration camps instituted by Hitler's regime. Nor was there any
evidence that the many instances in which German Jews peacefully
displayed strength of spirit in response to their persecutors had
exercised any influence on the latter. While Gandhi exhorted them to
bear "testimony" to the world by their conduct, the fate of the Jews
in Germany was to experience only an "unobserved martyrdom" without
effect.
>   Turning to Gandhi's allegation that to claim a homeland in
Palestine was inconsistent with the Jews' claims to equal citizenship
in the other countries of their birth, Buber recalled to him that the
Indians of South Africa whose cause Gandhi had championed themselves
drew sustenance from the existence of India as their "living center."
It was only the existence of such a home that made Diaspora tolerable,
respectively (Buber added) for both Jews and Indians.
>   As for Gandhi's denial that the Jews had any place in Palestine,
since it "belonged" to the resident Arab population, Buber reminded
him that the Arabs themselves had previously acquired the land by
virtue of a "conquest of settlement" — in contrast to the peaceful
methods of the Jews in purchasing land there. Why, indeed, in view of
the "primitive" state of Arab agriculture, should Palestinian land be
held to belong exclusively to the Arabs, when Jewish settlers had done
far more to develop that land's fertility in the past 50 years than
the Arabs in the preceding 1,300? With proper development, there was
no reason that the land of Palestine might not support millions of
Jewish refugees along with resident Arabs at a far higher standard of
living than the latter had heretofore enjoyed. Finally, Buber reminded
Gandhi that when the subject was the rights of Indians, as opposed to
those of the Jews, Gandhi himself had remarked (in 1922) that he had
"repeatedly said that I
>  would have India become free even by violence rather than that she
should remain in bondage."
>   Those who profess to concern themselves with the advancement of
justice in the world have far less to learn from Gandhi's inconsistent
and one-sided pacifism than from Buber's observation that while war is
in principle abhorrent, it is better to resist evil by force than to
allow it to triumph over the good.
>   — David Lewis Schaefer is a professor of political science at the
College of the Holy Cross.