> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <no_reply@> wrote:
> <snip>

> > she seems to assume her view of Peter
> > is "true" and that she has some sort of mantle of authority to
> > make such an assement, but she does not have the credentials for
> > such analysis of anyone.
>
> I suggest you check with any authoritative body
> in the field of mental health as to whether what
> Peter did is considered professionally ethical.
>
> <snip>
> > When Judy says,
> >
> > "And that's what it was, a putdown. If Peter had been seriously
> > concerned for the person's mental health, he could have communicated
> > with him privately,"
> >
> > obviously she is not listening to her own moral advice, nor does she
> > inquire if Peter's "healing method" being "applied to Richard" is
> > perhaps some new confrontational therapy that he's willing to
> > continue until Richard is healed
>
> My problem isn't with the putdown per se. The problem
> is with Peter having put his professional credentials
> *behind* the putdown.

An it appears, drugs such as this, being powerful jojo, have some
powerful possible side effects for which one needs some degree of
monitoring.

Recommendations / prescriptions of a powerful drug without adequate
patient follow-up and monitoring seems odd. Thats one reason such
drugs are not OTC. They need supervision.

However, in my observation, such drugs can be powerfully beneficial. A
 family member benefited greatly from Zyprexia -- a cousin of Seroquel
I believe.

-------------
"Elderly patients with dementia-related psychosis (having lost touch
with reality due to confusion and memory loss) treated with this type
of medicine are at an increased risk of death compared to placebo
(sugar pill). SEROQUEL is not approved for treating these patients.

Antidepressants have increased the risk of suicidal thoughts and
actions in children and teenagers. All patients starting treatment
should be watched closely for worsening of depression, suicidal
thoughts or actions, unusual changes in behavior, agitation, and
irritability. Families and caregivers should watch patients daily and
report these symptoms immediately to their physician. SEROQUEL is not
approved for patients under the age of 18.

A rare, but potentially fatal side effect reported with SEROQUEL and
medicines like it, is neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS). Tell your
doctor if you have very high fever; rigid muscles; shaking; confusion;
sweating; changes in pulse, heart rate, or blood pressure; or muscle
pain and weakness because treatment should be stopped if you have NMS.

Another serious side effect reported with SEROQUEL and medicines like
it is tardive dyskinesia (TD): uncontrollable movements of the face,
tongue, or other parts of the body. TD may become permanent, and the
risk of TD is believed to increase as the amount of and length of time
on these medications increase. While TD can develop in patients taking
low doses for short periods, this is much less common. There is no
known treatment for TD, but it may go away partially or completely if
treatment is stopped.

High blood sugar and diabetes have been reported with SEROQUEL and
medicines like it. If you have diabetes or risk factors such as
obesity or a family history of diabetes, ask your doctor about
checking your blood sugar before starting SEROQUEL and throughout
treatment. If you develop symptoms of high blood sugar or diabetes,
such as excessive thirst or hunger, increased urination or weakness,
contact your doctor. Complications from diabetes can be serious and
even life threatening.

An eye exam for cataracts is recommended at the beginning of treatment
and every 6 months. Tell your doctor if you have a history of or are
at risk for seizures. Since drowsiness has been reported with
SEROQUEL, you should not participate in activities such as driving or
operating machinery until you know that you can do so safely. Avoid
drinking alcohol while taking SEROQUEL because it increases the
effects of alcohol. Avoid becoming overheated or dehydrated while
taking SEROQUEL.

The most common side effects are dry mouth, drowsiness, sedation,
dizziness, weakness, constipation, abdominal pain, sudden drop in
blood pressure when standing, sore throat, weight gain, abnormal liver
tests, upset stomach, and lethargy."