Opinion below:

**

> On Sep 13, 2007, at 1:49 PM, boo_lives wrote:
>
> > There is no evidence that GD choose MMY to be his successor -
tmers
> > believe that based on what MMY has said not anything objective.
> > There's a huge decades long controversy over who GD's official
jyotir
> > math successor was, where there is some record, and there's no
record
> > at all regarding MMY. GD did not give MMY tm mantras - as has been
> > documented MMY started teaching TM in india with the mantra raam
given
> > to everyone, later changed to bij mantras, and changed the
criteria
> > for selecting bij mantras at least a couple times. The deathbed
story
> > is believed by tmers and makes a great dramatic story. You can
> > believe whatever you want, as long as you understand you're using
your
> > own spiritual movement's beliefs/stories/myths to support your
> > argument, which doesn't have much weight on those who aren't a
part of
> > it. Every guru with a marketing orientation has a story about how
he
> > is the official successor/reincarnation of/avatar of/ etc. of some
> > prior esteemed guru. Anti-tm people from GD's ashram have their
own
> > stories about how GD warned the ashram about MMY's ambition and to
> > keep him on the business side and out of the teaching side of the
> > ashram, and how MMY fooled with the will, etc. That's their
stories -
> > they have the same objective weight as TM TB stories.
> >
> > MMY certainly has been successful in drawing in people to
meditation
> > and in raising money. Still a pretty large group in ffld doing his
> > thing. I don't know if that says anything about GD or what he
would
> > think about it.
> >
> > I don't know much about GD from non TM sources. He appears to have
> > practiced a tradition called shri vidya. My personal opinion is
that
> > GD's true lineage is being upheld by someone trained and selected
> > while GD was in the forest, not while in his public formal role
as a
> > religious ashram leader.
>

> Nice, brief objective synopsis.

**end**

Boo_lives' synopsis makes sense to me, too, though it doesn't change
my opinion re either Guru Dev or Maharishi.  It seems that the major
players in the controversies after Guru Dev's death, both as to the
successor to the throne at Jyotir Math, as well as his "official"
teachings became disciples of Guru Dev after his installation as
Shankaracharya.  That includes Maharishi (who took initiation before
Guru Dev was Shankaracharya but didn't join the ashram until
afterwards), Swaroopananda, and Shantanand.

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's relationship with Maharishi and their
respective teachings seems to parallel Maharishi's relationship with
Guru Dev.  By Raj Varma's account (certainly biased but not
necessarily incorrect in this matter) Maharishi exhibited noticeable
spiritual progress around Guru Dev and was obviously a favored, or
even a favorite disciple.  Sri Sri, both before and during his time
with Maharishi, similarly seemed to be something of a spiritual
prodigy.  But both took whatever they got from their gurus and
branched out in a somewhat different direction, technique-wise.

Sri Sri still accords Maharishi respect and devotion, from what I
understand, and Maharishi has always credited Guru Dev for
everything. Close followers of Maharishi decry Sri Sri's approach in
the same way that some other followers of Guru Dev castigate
Maharishi.

Most everyone here on FFL has gotten something from their involvement
and time with Maharishi and have utilized it in a way that seems
beneficial to them; even if they now disavow Maharishi and his
teachings, they use it (to one degree or another) as a way of
defining where and why they are in the life situation they presently
occupy.

I agree that Guru Dev is something like Santa Claus for adults.  I
love Santa Claus, too.  Every year in the western world that image
and personality is renewed by and in the sense of giving and sharing
that we recognize in xmas gifting.  That's fine with me.

Merry Xmas

Marek