HOMOPHOBIC TRAUMA
William Edelen
January 28, 2007

I have always believed in the evolution of consciousness. Especially
from those who blabber every Sunday morning from pulpits about
something called "love". Ugly and vicious internal battles are going
on today in Episcopalian churches, as well as Methodist, Presbyterian
and others. And of course all fundamentalist churches are in
homophobic trauma. I am having doubts about the evolution of
consciousness.

A roll call of the brilliant gays and lesbians of history who have
made giant contributions to our evolution as a species and to our
cultural heritage, would include the following.

King James (yes, of King James bible fame)....Plato..Alexander the
Great...Leonardo Da Vinci...Gore Vidal...Michelangelo...Walt
Whitman...Emily Dickinson...Gertrude Stein...Rock Hudson...Greta
Garbo..W.H. Auden...Amy Lowell...Tennessee Williams...Thornton
Wilder...Willa Cather...Jane Austen...Henry James...George
Santayana...Babe Zaharias...Christopher Isherwood...Peter
Tchaikovsky...Oscar Wilde...Clifton Webb...Ethel Waters...Frederick
the Great...Liberace...Rudolph Valentino...James Dean...James
Hormel...Ramon Navarro...Malcolm Forbes...Christopher
Marlowe...Phillip Johnson...Van Cliburn...Edward Everett
Horton...John Gielgud....George
Gershwin...Adrian...Aristotle...Hadrian...Chastity Bono...Noel
Coward...Agnes Moorehead...Montgomery Clift...Anthony
Perkins...Virginia Woolf...Edward Albee...Andre Gide...Sumner
Welles...Cole Porter...George Cukor...Marcel Proust...Rudolph
Nureyev...Genet...Dag Hammarskjold...Martina Navratilova...John
Chever...Aaron Copland...A.E. Housman...William Tilden...Greg
Louganis...Ian McKellen...Richard Halliburton...Lawrence of
Arabia...William Haines...Horatio Alger...Jean Genet...Ethel
Waters....Leonard Bernstein...and space limitations preclude my
listing thousands more of many of the most creative and brilliant
representatives of our species.

I have two nephews. brothers, who often visited me on Marine Corps
and Naval Air Stations. They always wanted to be a fighter pilot like
their "uncle Bill". They both became that. Both of them top Naval
Fighter pilots. One became the Number one Top Gun of that elite
group. His brother is gay and has been as far back as he can
remember. Today he is a captain with one of Americas largest airlines
and is one of the finest pilots in America. Gay.

Robert Bernstein, former Senior Trial Lawyer for the U.S. Dept. of
Justice, wrote an excellent book "Straight Parents, Gay Children." He
and his wife were told by their daughter that she had always been a
lesbian. They embraced her with love, and marched with her in gay
parades. Bob went on to become the National President of PFLAG
(Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays.) one of the finest and
most loving organizations in America. He had a full house when he
spoke to my Sunday Symposium in Palm Springs.

When is the good Christian love going to extend to the over 600,000
lesbian and gay youth under 18 years of age in California alone. The
suicide rate is the highest in gay and lesbian children because of
their families inability to accept who they are and give them the
Christian 'love' they prattle about every Sunday in church.

The Christian church has a 2000 year old history of opposing
scientific truth and blocking moral issues: the brutal persecution of
Copernicus...Galileo...Bruno...Vesalius and others; supporting
slavery with biblical references...fighting against the rights of
women, including voting...still an issue today where wives are told
to stay in their place as biblically defined.

How many future generations of morally sensitive people are going to
be amazed, and laughing, at the homophobic ignorance and
superstitions of todays churches?

In the name of Christian love, the thin-lipped witch hunting
moralists are at work. Poor things. They can hardly get out of bed in
the morning without knees shaking,..hands shaking and lips quivering.
The sexual world they have to face each day is full of fantasized
goblins...devils..evil spirits and bogeymen and their church fights
over bedroom witch hunts.

A closing question that any intelligent grade school child could ask:
When are Christians going to start living the "love" they drivel
about every Sunday.?