<snip>
> I use Editpad, which has a version you can download for
> free, which enable me to keep multiple pages open on the
> editor.

Actually Windows' Notepad does very nicely for this
sort of thing. Another very useful one is Magic
Notes, a sticky-note program with lots of features,
including alarms, that costs $15.

But as I said to start with, the problem is not the
lack of a means to tally posts, high- or low-tech,
it's remembering to tally each post.

<snip>
> Occasionally they'll forget to index an entire
> day's posts. They're there *on* the Web reader; you
> can see them there. But they don't show up in response
> to criteria entered in the Advanced Search. Go figure.

But as I said to start with, in the case of Jim's posts
last week, Yahoo didn't "forget to index an entire
day's posts," it forgot to index five of Jim's posts
scattered throughout one day; it indexed all the rest
of his posts that day. The ones that it "forgot"
weren't even consecutive.

> Anyway, if you care about not going over the limit,
> a good text editor is a great way to achieve this.

But as I said to start with, if you're not *obsessive*
about going over the limit by a few posts, Yahoo's
Search is likely to be as close as a hand-tally.

The point of the limit, as I understand it, was to
keep people from making a number of posts per week
that some felt had the effect of monopolizing the
conversation. It's a little difficult to argue that
40 posts per week constitutes such a monoply, but
35 posts does not.

It seems to me that as long as folks keep reasonably
close to the arbitrary number of 35, the purpose of
the limit is being served.