--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bronte Baxter
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Wow! That IS news! I'm no scientist but it sounds pretty freaky
indeed! I don't find it unsettling though. If it's true that the
planet is moving into a new age, and all of us with it, this could be
part of the transformation of matter. I wonder why it's happening?

So do the physicists! It's one thing to read about
them finding some weird discrepancy in the rotation
of a quasar, or that one of the universal constants
isn't quite adding up, but this thing with the
kilogram is happening right here on earth.

>   I've read other places that the earth is slowing losing its
magnetism (nothing mainstream here, but private "unapproved"
scientists have been saying so). Maybe that's related to the kilogram
thing somehow.

But why would it be affecting only that single kilogram
measure? Why would it be "drifting apart" from the
others?

Actually, that the earth is losing its magnetic field
*is* mainstream; see this article on CNN.com from 2003:

http://tinyurl.com/yzfv

Apparently the loss has been measured since 1945.

The "fringe" aspect has to do with what the loss
*means*. Most mainstream scientists don't think it
necessarily means an imminent reversal of the poles,
much less a reversal of the earth's rotation. (And
if the earth's rotation were slowing down preparatory
to stopping and reversing, it would be observable on
a gross level because the length of a day would
increase. If the reversal were going to happen in
2012, we would already be very well aware of it.)

 Some people think the earth is losing its magnetism because it's
slowing its rotation, getting ready to stop and reverse its direction
on December 21, 2012. This would not cause objects to fly off the
planet, they state, because gravity holds us here, not the earth's
rotation. There's some evidence in ancient texts of several cultures
that suggest the earth reversing rotational direction happened in the
past. For instance, one scripture (I forget from where) speaks
of "the day the sun rose twice" and another describes a period when
the sun rose in the west and set in the east.

http://digg.com/general_sciences/Shrinking_Kilogram_Bewilders_Physicis