--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Bronte, you're over generalizing. Of course I get your
> point about the possible "dangers" involved with an
> overcontrolling guru. But you seem to try to apply
> this to every guru/chela relationship and it just
> ain't so. MMY is a great example of an
> over-controlling guru. You cut your teeth on him, like
> I did, so of course you're head shy about gurus. Just
> don't say all guru relationships are like this. And by
> the way, the majority of people who attempt to learn
> an instrument on their own, don't. They know three
> chords, two songs, etc. Some people can learn an
> instrument on their own, but they're alweays listening
> to music, so the music is their guru. The odds of
> going from avidya to realization without help from the
> Absolute in some form or shape is just about nil.

Agreed. I think that doing an effective meditation technique like TM
(just my personal example-- not an ad), reading a guru's words, like
Maharishi's (just my personal example-- not an ad), praying to
saints like Guru Dev (just my personal example-- not an ad), can all
mean following a guru by tuning the heart and intellect to that of
the supremely enlightened, and by so doing, the process of Self
Realization goes very quickly.

However, there is never a need to become a guru's compromised
follower.  Doesn't mean losing our will or common sense. There is
definitely a way to make it work for us, keeping it in perspective.:-
)