Hi,

Well, using Linux locales, I have the collation algorithm
already (set_locate(...); strcoll() or strxlat()), so I will just
define the comparison function to link to my external 5line C
code, and also define a persian string type, to be same as
varchar, but with my own comparison function...

behdad

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Hamidreza Younesy Aghdam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am now using 1256; i mean, I have set the locale to
> farsi before installing SQL Server, and I am using the
> non unicode types (char, instead of nchar). so I will
> have not problem with G-CH-P-JH and they are in the
> correct place! (Actually i am not sure about the real
> reason).
>
> I think it will be possible to apply a similar trick,
> when using unicode. i.e. using a function to map
> unicode characters to our correctly sorted order (a
> 0..255 HashTable). The convertion will result in the
> loss of data, but there will be no problem if we want
> to use it only in the ORDER BY clause.
>
> Let me know what is your idea.
>
> --- Behdad Esfahbod <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Nice idea, this is the same as what I'm going to
> > implement for
> > postgresql, BTW, does it support PE, CHE, ... too?
> >

> > On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Hamidreza Younesy Aghdam wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Fortunately I found some kind of solution for the
> > > sorting problem, just after sending the mail. I
> > was
> > > mixied with this problem for more than a week, but
> > > don't know why I must find the answer after
> > sending
> > > the question (beleive me)! May be some kind of
> > holy
> > > spirit on this mailing list ;)
> > >
> > > As I had talked personaly to some of the friends
> > in
> > > this list before and we didn't find a reasonable
> > > solution, I hope this may be useful for some of
> > you:
> > >
> > > 1. create a userdefined function:
> > >
> > > CREATE FUNCTION CorrectSort (@field char(100))
> > > RETURNS char(100)
> > > AS
> > > BEGIN
> > >   RETURN REPLACE(REPLACE((REPLACE(REPLACE(@field,
> > > 'Heh','$'
> > ),'Waw','Heh')),'$','Waw'),'Keheh','Kaf')
> > > END
> > >
> > > use the exact farsi characted instead of the
> > "Heh",
> > > "Waw", "Keheh", "Kaf". use any dummy char instead
> > of
> > > "$")
> > >
> > > then use this function in the order by clase:
> > > SELECT * FROM Personal
> > > ORDER BY CorrectSort(Lastname),
> > CorrectSort(Firstname)

> > > BTW, I am still looking for some solution for
> > > substituting the Keheh with Kaf on data entry.
> > >
> > > =====
> > > ....../--/|
> > /--/|...................................
> > > ...../  /_//  /
> > /..................................
> > > ..../        / /amidreza Younesy Aghdam
> > > .../  ___   / /  Emails  : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > ../  /|_/  / /             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > ./__/ //__/ /omepage:http://ce.sharif.edu/~younesy
> > > .|__|/

> > --
> [...]

Unix:
Some say the learning curve is steep, but you only have to climb it once.
        -- Karl Lehenbauer