On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, C Bobroff wrote:

> I also have only heard of Alif Maksura used in Arabic only in Final
> position, never in initial, medial or isolated.
>
> Please give an example of "dandaane" which must be a Persian invention in
> which case why don't you use Persian Yeh?

[Wearing my Unicode hat] It's used in Koran. It's also used in Uighur,
Kazakh, and Kirghiz (older form of the latter ones). There are two Unicode
Presentation forms characters for it, at U+FBE8 and U+FBE9.

If you can't take my word, I can go and search a Koran next time I went
home. I don't have a Koran in the office.

> (I haven't yet gotten around to nagging for all the letters to be made
> without dots as used by the poets...maybe this will come in handy for
> that!)

Guess what? It's already done. Unicode has the dotless forms of all Arabic
letters already encoded. Exercise for the reader: Look at the charts and
list all of them.

> >The usage is usually educational or Koranic.
> I can't think where in the Koran. If you think of an example, let me know.

That is used in older Iranian Korans. The new Koranic orthography doesn't
use that signe anymore. The older Iranian orthography of Koran used it
everywhere there was an /i:/ sound. Just get your hand on a Koran
published in Iran in the 1970s.

roozbeh