>> Then we know that the resulting C/C++ code can be quite large and sometimes
>> push the C compilers to their limits… It some sense the Faust compiler does
>> produce completely "inlined" code that can be quite huge. There is still a
>> lot of work to do in the quality of this code, so that for instance to
>> better share common code that is applied on different datas, these kind of
>> things...
>
> Yes, I use both GCC and Clang here, and Clang handles the code that FAUST
> produces *much* better than GCC.  In the case of my project, g++ alone could
> take several minutes (>10 I think?) and have peak memory use of over 2G (!),
> while clang++ compiles much faster (a few seconds), uses much less RAM *and*
> produces better code (when the code is vectorised, that is).

Yes, it is well known that Clang beats GCC in this area.. But GGC is still
better at auto-vectorization right?

(AFAICS clang still has very limited form of auto-vectorization …)

> So I would not *exclusively* blame FAUST for that, GCC could obviously do
> better, too.
>
> BTW, how does ICC fare in compile time? I've never used it, so can't say
> myself.

I don't know about compilation time to much, our experience was that icc was
usually much better at auto-vectorizing the code.

Stéphane