Hey,

perhapes some topic to discuss on LAC2018?

1) GPU computation is not really adapted to the need of general audio
algorithms, but more for highly « data parallel » needs (likes images). In
audio code, as soon as your code is doing recursions, GPU are quite inefficient
and not used the way they like

2) the code generation strategy was very naive, so probably even under-using
what could be theoretically achieved

3) GPU/CPU memory transfer suffers from high latency, so is not adapted to
real-time computation with small buffer sizes
I did some recent research on that. http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-2009/fmt-proceedings-2017-paper10.pdf

With NVidia Pascal architecture ( > GT 10XX) and newer you have Zero-Copy Data Transfer.
Sadly now Pascal Card around :-/

With GT 900 we could achieve 512 Samples / 48k @ 2Ch.

I read later on that the Csound guys did some experiment, see here about the
CUDA thing:  http://www.csounds.com/manual/html/PrefaceWhatsNew.html. Victor
Lazzarini on this list can probably develop here.

So my conclusion is that OpenCL/CUDA *could* be interesting again assuming 1) a
subset of audio algorithms only would be compiled, 2) the Faust compiler
possibly need some new primitives (vector, matrix..) more adapted to GPU
processing, and code generation would have two be improved, 3) the latency
issues would have to be revisited with more recent and powerful cards.

I am not  very familiar with using Faust, just followed it on LAC. I just think this would be a really interesting topic, espacially with the Faust webinterpreter. You could do some serious online signal processing like virtual soundscapes, which is something we are considering in our research project fast-music (www.soundjack.eu).
Or am I on a wrong path regarding Faust?

BR,
Ck

Stéphane