Hello, list.

First post for me here so pleased to meet you all.

I am thinking about migrating from Pure Data to Faust so I would like to
hear of your experiences if you've done the same.

PD has been incredibly reliable for me, not crashing a single time over
years of live performances with somewhat CPU-expensive patches, though PD's
single-precision is sometimes a problem.

My music systems in PD are implemented using exclusively audio objects, so,
in the end, everything is a signal in my patches, pretty much like in
Faust. I also work a lot with sample-wise operations, for example to
implement filters, and I know that that can easily be achieved in Faust.

Essentially, in my experience, an audio-objects-only PD patch could perhaps
crash while actually patching objects, but once that has been done, the
patch will be very stable. I wonder if you have experience running complex
and CPU-expensive DSP networks in Faust for full-length live performances
without having stability problems.

Another thing that I would like to know is whether you have a quick way in
Faust to visualise (scope) signals taken from an arbitrary node of a DSP
network. I often use that to see if the behaviour of my modules is as
expected, which might not always be understood by simply looking at the
block diagram.

Thanks for your help.

Dario Sanfilippo - research, teaching, and performance
Reid School of Music, the University of Edinburgh
+447492094358
https://www.eca.ed.ac.uk/profile/dario-sanfilippo
http://dariosanfilippo.tumblr.com

<http://dariosanfilippo.tumblr.com>