> The foreign function approach works well, but only for compiling to c
> targets; I believe that when compiling to llvm, foreign functions are
> not available. (Perhaps someone could correct me if I'm wrong.) This
> includes faustlive, and perhaps the faust IDE (does this use llvm? I
> know it doesn't compile to c….)

Yes foreign functions are limited to C/C++ backends since they have to be
compiled separately (with a C/C++ compiler), and linked to the final binary.

They are not available in FaustLive (which used the LLVM backend) and Faust Web
IDE (which uses the WebAssembly backend)

> Finally, it's not really my place to propose this, but adding a new
> primitive that gives random values would solve this problem. It would
> be cool to have a way to get random values on all platforms, and it
> seems like it wouldn't be unreasonably complex to add. But again, this
> is a question for the developers of faust and isn't really my
> business.

Adding a new random generator primitive is something we have in mind, but not
done yet.

Stéphane