Hi, Oleg.

On Sun, 29 Oct 2023 at 17:02, Oleg Nesterov <o...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 10/29, Dario Sanfilippo wrote:
> >
> > internal int representation is always 32-bit, and Stéphane explained that
> > it can't be changed easily.
>
> Yes, and this is a bit unfortunate
>
> > Since Faust is a high-level language for DSP, wouldn't it make sense to
> > treat all signals as float unless there's an explicit cast to int?
>
> I disagree. If nothing else this would be incompatible change.
> For example, even ba.time should be changed somehow to avoid
> the performance regression.

Yes, that also doesn't sound right.

> I'd like to have another option which controls the "int" type,
> just like -single/double/quad do, but this is not simple.

Until then, I suggest that we document these differences and behaviours of
ints and float signals well in the documentation. What I will personally
also do from now on when contributing, is to stress the use of float
signals by always using the point (.) in any operation, even those that are
always float regardless of the operands; for example:

process = int / 2.0;

Ciao,
Dario