Van: favismlist-boun...@g6pdml.org [mailto:favismlist-boun...@g6pdml.org]
Namens Favism Mailing List
Verzonden: maandag 5 februari 2018 15:59
Aan: favismlist@g6pdml.org
Onderwerp: Re: [Favismlist] G6pd question

Dear Helene,

I recommend that you speak with a physician knowledgeable about G6PD with
your questions. The information below is taken from UpToDate, which bases
it's recommendations on published literature. I hope this is helpful to you.

Thanks,

Richard

---------------------

Dietary restrictions - It has also been suggested that affected individuals
should avoid ingestion of fava beans, also referred to as "broad beans,"
which can cause hemolysis in some but not all affected individuals [97
<https://www.uptodate.com/contents/diagnosis-and-management-of-glucose-6-pho
sphate-dehydrogenase-deficiency/abstract/97> ]. However, unlike certain
medications that induce hemolysis in all individuals with G6PD deficiency,
sensitivity to the fava bean is more variable.

The G6PD variant most commonly implicated in favism is G6PD Mediterranean
and G6PD Canton. Thus, favism occurs most often in people from Italy,
Greece, North Africa, the Middle East, and Asia [5
<https://www.uptodate.com/contents/diagnosis-and-management-of-glucose-6-pho
sphate-dehydrogenase-deficiency/abstract/5> ]. Africans and
African-Americans with G6PD deficiency are much less susceptible, although
there are very rare cases of favism associated with the African variant,
G6PD A- [98
<https://www.uptodate.com/contents/diagnosis-and-management-of-glucose-6-pho
sphate-dehydrogenase-deficiency/abstract/98> ]. In addition, the response to
the bean by the same individual at different times may not be consistent [99
<https://www.uptodate.com/contents/diagnosis-and-management-of-glucose-6-pho
sphate-dehydrogenase-deficiency/abstract/99> ]. Other genetic factors,
perhaps related to the hepatic metabolism of potentially oxidant compounds
within the fava bean, may play a role in determining the severity of the
reaction [99-101
<https://www.uptodate.com/contents/diagnosis-and-management-of-glucose-6-pho
sphate-dehydrogenase-deficiency/abstract/99-101> ]. For reasons that are
unknown, favism occurs mostly in children [102
<https://www.uptodate.com/contents/diagnosis-and-management-of-glucose-6-pho
sphate-dehydrogenase-deficiency/abstract/102> ].

Favism most often results from the ingestion of fresh (rather than
preserved) fava beans (picture 2
<https://www.uptodate.com/contents/image?imageKey=HEME%2F109970&topicKey=HEM
E%2F7111&search=g6pd+deficiency&rank=1%7E150&source=see_link> ).
Consequently, the peak seasonal incidence of favism in Mediterranean regions
coincides with harvesting of the bean during April and May [99
<https://www.uptodate.com/contents/diagnosis-and-management-of-glucose-6-pho
sphate-dehydrogenase-deficiency/abstract/99> ]. However, equally severe
hemolysis can occur after consuming fried fava beans, a popular Chinese
snack (picture 2
<https://www.uptodate.com/contents/image?imageKey=HEME%2F109970&topicKey=HEM
E%2F7111&search=g6pd+deficiency&rank=1%7E150&source=see_link> ). Favism also
has been reported in nursing infants whose mothers have eaten fava beans.

A question that often comes up relates to the safety of falafel, a common
Middle Eastern food. The answer depends on the ingredients. Egyptian falafel
is made from fava beans, whereas falafel made elsewhere in the world is
usually made from chick peas, which are considered safe for people with G6PD
deficiency. However, in some areas, falafel is made from a mixture of fava
beans and chick peas. The easiest response to the question is that
G6PD-deficient individuals should not consume anything with fava beans.
However, since not everyone with G6PD deficiency, particularly adults, is
sensitive to fava beans, we advise patients to use cautious observation.

Favism can also occur following ingestion of bitter melon. Also, several
other foods such as blueberries are listed on the internet as potentially
associated with hemolysis, although the direct relationship is not clear. In
our practice we do not advise dietary restrictions; however, for any
questionable food we emphasize to our patients and their families to be
observant of any changes suggestive of increased hemolysis. Patients are
encouraged to call their physician if any changes are noted.

From: <favismlist-boun...@g6pdml.org <mailto:favismlist-boun...@g6pdml.org>