1) I'd suggest that Free Culture has far closer ties with the Free Software movement - the open source movement simply aims to contrive visibility of source code.
 
So I recommend changing 'open source' to 'free software'.
 
2) It is not that music should have freedoms attached to it, but that published music should not have freedom removed from it. Free software contrives its restoration via a license (GPL).
 
3) I'd say 'technical protection measures' aka DRM. Don't give credence to the idea that there are actually rights to be managed.
 
4) The 'encroachment' is that whilst copyright has traditionally only been applied to a few commercial publishers (legitimate or illegitimate), it is now being applied to the general public - given that the public is now enjoying the ability to self-publish. Whilst it may have been tolerable for a few publishers' freedoms to be curtailed by copyright, it is certainly not tolerable for the general public.
 
5) Actually, 'copyright' is a dirty word. I'd recommend it as a core tenent. ;-)


From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tim Cowlishaw
Sent: Wednesday, 2 August 2006 11:35am
To: UK FreeCulture Discuss List
Subject: [fc-uk-discuss] response to Alison Wenham of AIM

Hi all,

A few months ago, Alison Wenham of AIM wrote an editorial in 'Independent Music' - a free magazine published by The Independent entitled 'Why copyright shouldn't be a dirty word', which stated:

> 'So please, lets have less of the 'Free Source' brigage - mostly young adults with degrees, high ideals, pensions and iPods stuffed full of our music, telling you that music should be free.'

Whilst I've come accross this too late to  attempt to get a response published, I have written an open letter to Ms Wenham, which I intend to publish on my blog as well as sending directly to her. However, I was wondering if people felt it would be beneficial for me to sign this as a representative of FC-UK, rather than as an individual? The letter is below for your perusal, please let me know your thoughts!
_______________________________________________
fc-uk-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.okfn.org/mailman/listinfo/fc-uk-discuss

Reply via email to