On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Matthias Paul wrote:

> On 2002-11-20, Arkady V.Belousov wrote:
>
> > This program is not required. It required only if you wish to
> > switch codepages "on the fly", but if you work only with one
> > codepage, you may (should) initialize it with COUNTR= statement.
> > Of course, in MS-DOS MODE and KEYB without NLSFUNC loaded will
> > fail to load fonts/layouts other than pointed in COUNTRY=.
>
> This is correct, but still, a COUNTRY.SYS file parser is needed
> not only for NLSFUNC, but also for FreeDOS' DOS BIOS.

Well FreeDOS doesn't have a DOS BIOS as such. There's kernel.sys which
consists (presently) of
a) PGROUP 256 bytes at 60:0, used for startup and the init code's PSP
b) TGROUP ~1500 bytes at 70:0: small device drivers (CON, AUX, PRN),
assembly interface code, intxx trampolines, XMS callers to enable and
disable the HMA.
c) DGROUP ~5000 bytes now at 00eb:0. The DOS DS: LOL, SDA and so on,
COUNTRY tables, constant strings and the low deblock BUFFER (this buffer
is actually part of our SDA).
d) HGROUP ~40000-43000 bytes: main DOS code + block and clock device drivers.
e) I_GROUP: ~18000 bytes init code and data: config.sys parser, block
device driver init, main init. I_GROUP feels much like a normal .COM DOS
program: after setting int vectors it simply calls int21 to open and read
config.sys. Discarded after init.

But I guess you mean the roughly same thing when I say that once nlsload.c
gets fixed up it will be part of I_GROUP.

Bart